Upgrading a friends computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke87

In Runtime
Hey everyone, its been a while since my last post but I need some help. My firend is looing to upgrade his old socket A computer and give a fresher look. He will mainly be using this for apps, so he will still stick with his hdds and cd roms and such.
we need:
cpu
motherboard
power supply (found)
case (found)

We were looking into skt 939 3800+ x2 , but can't locate them anywhere. We wanted to go this route because then he can use his ddr ram instead of upgrading to ddr2 ram. we are on a limited budget here so no extravegant crap;) .

one cheaper alternative if we need to go ddr2 was this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2719473&Sku=B450-2206 A

still has the dual core flair for a nice price. but that means upgrading to ddr2 , so its all up into debate.

i guess what i need is some definitive proof to show him on what is a good deal.

it looks like a decent deal
about 150ish for motherboard and cpu.

i like your selection of the s939 x2 3800+ and it looks like a good upgrade path for your friend, giving him ample power without breaking the bank (on DDR2 memory etc). i think that if buying DDR2 memory is unavoidable he should either see if he can afford an e6300/6400 processor or go with a Pentium 4/D for the time being until he can afford an upgrade to Core 2 Duo. i'm suggesting this because by the sounds of it, it would be good if your friend can upgrade by just buying a new processor in the future and AM2 won't have much upgradeability. Intel seems as if they'll continue with LGA775 for some time to come and you'll be able to go at least as far as a quad core processor if you get the right motherboard for him. i know it's not the cheapest path now but it sounds worth it if you must go with DDR2 and you factor in easier future upgrades.

s939 uses DDR, not DDR2... for AMD, they use the AM2 socket for DDR2. Newegg.com still has s939 rigs but i would recomend AM2 for upgradability purposes... its only alittle more cash.

s939 mobos

s939 x2 3800+
~$100

AM2 mobos

AM2 x2 3800+
~$150

the DDR2 ram is more expensive... but its faster soo, your friend will just have to decide. u can get some pretty cheap ddr2 ram and upgrade to faster stuff later.

that skt 939 you listed cwiz is only single core.

i am trying to convince him that he needs to spend a little more cash to get that rid he wants. I mean 250 versus 200 is not that much in the long run. i was really trying to lean him towards the am2, but he wants to use his old ram, because buying new ram will be more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom