Upgrading Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridlyn

Fully Optimized
Ok i just learned how to build computers and have experimented with are junk computers at home did me research on the stuff i wann buy heres what i have Before
Dell:
P4 2.4Ghz
1x1024 Kingston PC2700 Ram
40gb Western Digital 7200RPM
XFX Geforce FX 5200 128 mb AGP8x
Liteon DVD/CD-RW Burner
Window XP Home Edition SP2
300w PSU

After
P4 2.4Ghz
1x1024 Kingston PC2700 Ram
2x40gb Western Digital 7200RPM
CHAINTECH Geforce 6600GT
Liteon DVD/CD-RW Burner
CODEGEN Silver Case
400w PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822140118
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145107
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811182052
Now will i be able to switch the Mobo and everything to other case w/o a problem

Ridlyn said:
Now will i be able to switch the Mobo and everything to other case w/o a problem

yeah you might be lucky and have a retail computer with an mATX board. But goodluck trying to find a backpanel that fits the new case, unless your current one in the dell case is not part of the case..

I believe Dell fuses the Power Supply and the Motherboard in some way, so you can't remove one, without removing the other as well.

And some Dells motherboards have their AGP slot removed...

like my sisters dell :( the stupid agp slot is replaced with some circular mirror thingys

I have already taken this computer apart and upgraded the video card and the ram so the agp slot isnt a problem and i already look at the atx connect on the psu and it's not fused with mobo so the only i sure be lucky with is if the connectors on the new case will work with my mobo right? Is there a way to find out before hand? Would it be a good to just buy a new mobo and put all the other stuff on instead? My birthdays coming up and i dont think that I will be able to pull over $320

Edit: I just took my computer apart and checked everything the Mobo is not fused to the case in any way, just by ur normal risers and screws, the the PSU is connected by a normal ATX connector no problem there, so i think that im gonna be all set. Is there anyother way that dell could screw me out of doing this could u guys tell me so i can check pls.

I'm osrry, I didn't mean exactly fused. I may be wrong, but as far as I know, the PSU that Dells use are unique to them only. That means that the PSus won't be compatible with other mobos. And since the cases are mostly micro-ATX the PSus might not be compatible with other cases.

Just speculation :)

You'll be fine the only things youll need to study on are the front panel power buttons/ IO shield / risers. Some cases are proprietary to the motherboard. So you may have to mod your IO shield in some manner to get it fitted properly on the new case.
I modded one into a new case , i had to modify the IO shield length and width by grinding a small portion then screwed it to the new case.Pay attention to the risers that you use they do have different lenghts .Your first task will be getting the motherboard at the proper hieght in the new case(make sure you dont put a riser where it doesnt belong and ground out the MB). Then you'll need to adjust your IO shield to fit the motherboard.
Good luck with it just be carefull not to damage anything and youll be fine :)

You'll have to buy a new motherboard as well. And if your P4 2.4Ghz is a socket 478, i'd highly recommend for you to go with the ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe. It's the best 478 mobo out there. If anyone tells you different, they are an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom