Upgrading ddr2 ram for my gaming computer but not sure of any good deals out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradS

Baseband Member
First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forums...>.<

I am currently looking into buying 1GB-2GB of ram to add to my current 1.5 GB. I am upgrading because I received a bunch of games for xmas and my computer is having a bit of trouble playing them, likely due to the low amount of ram.

Just for general information, my computer has:

AMD Athlon 64, 2400 MHz (12 x 200) 3800+

Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT

WD Caviar Black 7200 RPM 750GB HDD

Motherboard Name: Acer Aspire T180
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 6100-4xx, AMD Hammer

Anyway, with that information out of the way, I can get to specifics. I am really just looking for some good and reliable DDR2 800 MHZ ram. I currently have 1 stick of ram that is 512 MB 667 MHZ (Hynix HYMP564U64CP8-Y5) and another stick of ram that is 1GB 800 MHZ (Kingston)

I have some kind of idea of what I may buy but I'm just looking for other opinions on what other ram out there is at a good price right now and has good reliability and performance.

Here's the ram I am considering:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Desktop Memory
OR
Newegg.com - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864AA800 - Desktop Memory

I kind of wish I would have decided to get more ram when Bing cash back was so high for Newegg... :p

Re: Upgrading ddr2 ram for my gaming computer but not sure of any good deals out ther

I'd say its mostly a GPU issue more so than RAM. 8500GT isn't exactly a mid or high end card...more on the low end of the spectrum. May want to think about upgrading that first.

What games?

Re: Upgrading ddr2 ram for my gaming computer but not sure of any good deals out ther

Well, I have Borderlands, The Orange Box, Sniper Elite, Braid, World of Goo, etc. Basically all games from Steam. I am also fairly new to the PC gaming world and I got this computer setup off of my cousin for about $110 this past June. Oh, and from time to time I also play a bit of World of Warcraft.

Yeah, the video card is pretty crappy. The reason I haven't upgraded though is because my power supply is like 250 watts. I'd have to probably upgrade the power supply along with the graphics card...

Between those kits, I'd go with the G.Skill. But you have bigger problems methinks.

If you already have to upgrade the PSU and the GPU, you may want to just look into piecing together a new machine in general. My opinion of course.

Hmm...think I could get a good graphics card and power supply for about $100? I may just go ahead and get the G Skill ram and then save up a bit more money to get a new power supply and graphics card. Back in June, my cousin bought a 9800GT for like $100 but I wonder if it has gone down since then... Also, I think I've seen some power supply units on Newegg for lower than $50, but not sure if they are reliable and provide a good amount of power.....

9800GT is not a good buy right now, too expensive for what you get. There are better cards out there for less or equal money, but I still hold to the opinion you may just want to save to build a new machine. The CPU will bottleneck any really decent GPU if you choose to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom