Upgrading CPU, video card and RAM...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostRiots

Solid State Member
Hi there. I want to upgrade my computer so I can run Oblivion, and other similar demanding games nicely, which at the moment it is completely uncapable of doing. (at the moment I've got AMD xp 2000+, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 and 512MB ram, lawlz.)

So I need to get a very good processor, video card and ram right? I was thinking something along the lines of:

2 x 1GB ram (Corsair or OCZ I hear are good?)

Radeon X1800XT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127180#DetailSpecs

Athlon 64 X2 (3800+ or 4200+)

Would a ndivia be better than an ATI?

Any suggestions on the ram and processor too?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums lostriots

and you are right you will need to upgrade all of that :)
also you will need to upgrade your powersupply so your hardware doesnt fail

ocz is good but i always go with corsair( you can go to their website, input your motherboard, and they will give you compadible RAM for it)

processor choice is good, to save money go with 3800 becuase you wont see much difference between the 2.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_performance/page5.asp

that should help you with your video card choice^

as far as nvidia vs ati we arent going to argue about it because its a matter of opinion and the conversations will get HEATED. i personally like nvidia better but ati has amazing cards too.

good luck with your computer and feel free to ask questions

i do like the 7900gt better (by evga)
but for oblivion it seems like ati is running it better

gahhh this subject is hard because results vary :(

its all good

idd go with the x1800xt or x1900xt in the long run
but nivida pritty mutch dominates games now, but ati is looking very good for the future. Except ati needs to work on their drivers, maybe do the driver profile thing or whatever, that nividia has, its really going for them. For now you cant go wrong getting a x1800xt ($270 bang for ur buck) x1900xt or 7900gt 7900gtx

heres a good ocz deal and this ram rocks. Its better then the g.skill (tighter timings) and cheaper with the $40 rebate but the g.skill is still a good pick from what all the reviews ive seen on those. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820227066

hey thats my link lol for the benchmarks from one of my posts (man theres allot):D

I wouldnt go with the X1800XT because that was just another screw up from ATI Just like their X8** series...

7800GTX>7800GT>X1800 series
X1900XT>7800GTX > 7800GT > 1800 series
X1900XT = 7900GT X> 7900GT

Pretty much the crown goes to the X1900XT in some games and the 7900GTX in others. In mid range gaming the 7600GT takes it all. While low end you just need to save up for more money.

Thanks for the suggestions, tis appreciated as I'm not too knowledgable on the computing front xP

What sort of power supply upgrade should I be looking at getting?

Your looking at 500-600W

PSU Manfuacters are Antec, Fortron, OCZ, PCP&C

Most people would go with the Antec truepower 550W for 80-100 dollars.

I think my motherboard is MSI MS-6382.

Do I need to replace this too?

And do I need to do anything about cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom