Upgrading, could use some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqwaggy

Beta member
I'm looking to upgrade my prehistoric computer and could really use some help. I currently play WoW and I'm tired of the toxic fps I get no matter where I am in the game world. So basically I'm looking to upgrade my PC to the point where it will run WoW and any other MMO that comes out within the next year pretty smoothly. Unfortunately I know nothing about upgrading and which parts are compatible with each other. And against my better judgement I decided to shop around on newegg for a bit to find a mobo/processor/gfx card that fits into the price range that I'm looking for.

Right now I'm considering.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Would those work out for a game like WoW? Any glaring flaws/compatibility issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes that would be a nice well thought out upgrade. Good job. Just make sure your PSU is capable of it.

I would also wonder what type of case you are planning on putting this in. If it is a prebuilt case like Dell your project could be fraught with peril.

Also what ram do you have that you are planing on using with this motherboard?

Come to think of it, if your considering buying a new mobo, cpu and video card, you may as well go all the way and buy a new pc...

But like Salty said,
What is your budget?
What parts do you already own?

Thanks for the responses, and sorry about being so brief in my first message. In addition to the mobo/gfx/processor I also plan on getting new ram, a new case, a new monitor, dvd drive, as well as a power supply. I'd like to keep it all under $550. So in addition to the stuff I linked earlier, I was considering:

Case: Newegg.com - Rosewill R220-P-BK Black 0.5mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Monitor: Newegg.com - Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Dvd Drive: Newegg.com - LG Black bezel 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model GDR-H20N - CD / DVD Drives

PSU: Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies (is 550w enough to run all of this?)

4gb of ram: 2x Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

The case and DVD drive may be a little questionable, but all of that in addition to the mobo/gfx/processor puts me at $536.

That case is utter garbage. It only has one fan, your **** is just going to be way too hot. I'm cheap too and didn't want to spend much on a case but it's well worth it. After shipping charges on that case it comes to 40 dollars.

Here are two better cases with free shipping

(ugly to me, but has at least 1 more fan) same price w/ free shipping
Newegg.com - Rosewill Wind Ryder RZLS142A-P YE Dual 120mm Cooling Fans and Mesh Design Front Panel Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

This is the case I have, it's actually pretty nice. A little more expensive but it's pretty large, easy to use, and comes with 3 120 mm fans with expansion for another.
Newegg.com - Rosewill Conqueror WSL Triple 120mm Fans Steel ATX Mid tower Computer Case with Side Panel - Computer Cases

definitely a good job, e5200 ftw, I'm running one atm but can't OC past 3.0Ghz due to a s*** cooler :| so I'm saying don't forget a good cooler such as the Sunbeam Core Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom