Upgrading to Core i7/x58

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzN

Baseband Member
It's been a while since I build my last PC so I'm looking for some help. As you can see my sig shows my current rig that I use to game in but I haven't played much PC games for the past 2 years due to being in Pharmacy School. Now that I've graduated and have free time I'm looking to build a good gaming PC.

Here's my plan:
CPU: Head to Micocenter and buy the Core i7 D0 Stepping. "Not sure what is the latest batch # if someone knows and can tell me it would be great".
PSU: Need a recommendation.
Case: Need a recommendation. "I would prefer big case with lots of fans and good airflow not a mid one, I've had troubles with mid one before due to heating issues and my GTX not fitting in place."
Ram: Probably going to need new ones but not quite sure?
GPU: I plan on using the same GTX 285 I have since it's still kinda new just sitting in my PC not doing any work and also plan on buying another one just for SLI.
MOBO: Need a recommendation.
Hard Drive: Currently have 2x Western Digital 250GB "Not sure if upgrading this would make a difference since I barely use much space"
Heatsink: Not sure if it's really needed.

I don't need a mouse, keyboard, speakers, or monitor since my current ones are still in good use. Also I play in 1680x1050 resolution and all graphics setting maxed out in most of my games so hopefully this system can handle it. If I'm missing something else please let me know aswell.

Spending Budget: If I can get the best bang for my bucks please recommend it but if it's top notch I don't mind spending about $600-900. The cheaper the better but the way I see it "good can't be cheap, cheap can't be good".

I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon after this build so I want something that'll last me probably until 2011+.

-Thanks

not much time but:

case: Haf or Cosmos S
ram: yes you will need new ram ddr3 in triple channel. Look at the OCZ gold 3x2gb 1600 for a total of 6gb.
mb: look at the offerings from asus and evga in your price range. will cost you between $200 to $275.
In the "lower" price range:
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

heatsink: Yes if you plan to OC much over 3.0. look at the sunbeam core contact 120 for a great value heatsink.

OS: if you do not already have a 64bit OS you will want to look into one to utilize all of your ram. Win7 is great and if need be get vista home premium with a free win7 upgrade for $110

In case you were wondering, for future reference, the x58 build is definitely the way to go for you. Considering you plan on putting two very high end cards together, the p55 would actually hinder performance a little bit.

Get the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2. It's a pretty good all around motherboard for stepping into i7.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retai

And the RAM that Hefe was talking about:
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail

You don't need another GTX 285 if you're only playing games at 1680 x 1050. A 24" at 1920 x 1200 would suite SLI better.

Just keep your current hard drives, since you said yourself, you barely use space.

Another heatsink suggestion that I think is great:
Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail

The V2 is a great board as it is the one I run. About $50 more than the vanilla p6t so it may stretch your budget a bit.

Here's the list. Please let me know if I need to make adjustments or changes.

CPU: Micro Center - Core i7 920 Processor Boxed "Batch SLBEJ"
MOBO: Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards "I looking at some EVGA one but I'm not quite sure what the difference is or if it's the same performance and results."
RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
HD: Staying with current ones.
GPU: Staying solo with the GTX 285 since b1g said it, I won't see any difference when having SLI while playing in 1680x1050. Maybe in the near future I'll snag another once I get a bigger monitor.
Heatsink: Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Case: Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
OS: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - Operating Systems
Drives: Using current ones so I don't need any new ones.

Anything else I'm missing??

Vista 64bit will only make use of 12GB if you use memory intensive programs. Gaming doesn't need near as much, so 6GB is plenty. And if you do find yourself that it is lagging in whatever (though I doubt), then pick up another kit.

I'm sure that Coolermaster HAF case will cool well. Has three big 230mm and one 140mm fans. That's alot of cooling right there. Although here's another popular alternative:
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

...and for the PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I think you're missing an optical drive:
HP 24X DVD Burner

Getting that Antec 1200 and Corsair 750HX could stretch the budget a little more, but in my opinion, you're not going to upgrade for two years or so, so you might as well.

Well I really like the EVGA mobo's for overclocking, but for the average user I usually recommend the Asus. The Asus is still a Great Overclocker but I just feel like it's more user friendly, but that's just an opinion.

I really haven't heard or read about the Scythe Mugen, but I have owned a few Scythe heatsinks in the past. Once again it's just my opinion but on all the Scythe heatsinks I've had the fins were spaced to far apart thus decreasing the amount of surface area for the heat to dissapate from. If I was going to buy a heatsink from NewEgg I would go with this one, but it's about twice the price.
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

The case listed above, HAF 932, is easily one of the very best cases available for the user with Great Airflow in mind. The Antec 1200 is another good one but it's slightly more expensive.
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Power Supply, this is a good Modular PS. Once again it's fairly expensive but Modular isn't cheap. And if you find one that is cheap, it's cheap because it's cheap.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom