Upgrading to core duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Murphy

Baseband Member
I've finally decided to upgrade my stuff. What are your thoughts on these upgrades:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
ATI Radeon HD 3870

I'm not too familiar with hard drives so I don't know if I'll need to spend more or less on that or not. The reason I'm getting a new one is because I'm still using an IDE one. Is it possible to transfer one hard drive to another one?

Everything seems good, the only thing i would personally change is the processor. A Q6600 would be nice because games nowadays are starting to utilize quad cores. For example Unreal Tournament 3.

Another question, can I crossfire with that mobo? If not whats a good mobo I can crossfire with thats not pricey?

Hi mate, i got similar pc to you. im trying to get rid of it :D

i dont think you can with that mobo.. its got a single PCI-E slot.
MB-100-GI_400.jpg

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
this one does. :)
MB-084-GI_400.jpg

the blue and orange slots.

"With support for ATI CrossFire, GIGABYTE pushes the envelope once again by delivering highly optimized performance and flexibility demanded by power users and extreme gaming enthusiasts. Designed to provide unmatched multi-GPU support with dual PCI Express connectivity, the GA-P35-DS4 allows users to take advantage of the ultra smooth 3D rendering, blazing-fast frame rates and enhanced visual quality possible with a dual graphics card solution."

- Ultimate graphics performance with dual PCI-E x16 interface

unless theyre lying.

The p35-ds3p supports crossfire for gigabyte. But IMO get the Abit ip35 board. Also, let me recommend against the OCZ memory, spend the extra and get some crucial ballistix or tracers depending on what you can find cheapest. I'm replacing my OCZ memory tonight with tracers because the OCZ doesnt overclock for crap. Also, q6600 > e6750.

Edit: also, for the price of the p35-ds4 board, you can get an abit x38 board that has dual x16 slots for crossfire and a better chipset.

I'm probably looking for under 150 for a mobo.
Isn't the q6660 a good amount more money than the e6750?
I can't really spend more than 700. I could get the cheaper motherboard and get the q6660 and forget about doing crossfire, which I wasn't going to do right now anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom