Upgrading computer i got for christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

itinerantbluez

Beta member
well i got a compaq presario desktop sr5505f

HP Presario SR5505F - PC Desktops - Shopping.com

theres the link with all the specs. i want to upgrade this into a dependeble gaming effecient computer.

games like: oblivion, ff11, n call of duty 2

with the 1gigram, vista tends to slow things a lil down. but where should i start.

500 dollar spending limit cap. i was thinking with the ram and then the card.

but any advice :whistle:

Get about 4GB of ram, and a better video card.

First open up your computer case and check out the power supply. Their should be a sticker on it indicating the amount of power it supplies. Look at the +12v column, tell us the number of amps on it, plus the wattage of the psu.

Depending on the answer, it might be a limiting factor for the video card that you can use. Also a better power supply might be recommended.

ok im going to shut down and check out the psu.

but say if i just purchase a new psu, what should i go for?

and then what video card if thats the case?

this is all i got

AC INPUT 100-127v 6.0 AMPS

50/60Hz 200-240v 3.0 AMPS

and how would my system run, lmao and im pretty much gutting the computer and using its disk drive and storage space right?

oh and plus, would you think upgrading the mobo be better?

A new mobo would mean a new copy of Windows. If you were going to go that far, just build and start fresh. :D Of course, that would sort of push your current computer off to the side and all.

With the upgrades I linked to, it would run faster overall. Faster CPU, more RAM, much better graphics processing ability. If you build, you can utilize the newest CPUs, like a quad core AMD (to keep costs down). The Athlon II X4 line is very nice with great performance and still easy on the wallet; the 620 runs around $99.

Give us your best budget and we can see what we can come up with.

the best way to go would be to go all new, but if you must upgrade, this is one way you could go:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory

total: $391

upgrading the cpu to another AM2 socket cpu doesn't make much sense as you're not going to see a significant enough difference to justify the extra cost. If your motherboard can support newer AM3 socket CPUs (which i doubt), then you could get a nice cpu with the remaining $110

ok i gotcha, i just wanted to utilitize the pc i got for christmas, but as i can tell its pretty much crap for what i want it to do.

so far i only have 500 plus this computer.

so i mean if i can sell it back for a good 200~300.

i can get my budget upto 700~800

but im not sure. these things get so complicated haha

The games you want to run arnt the most demanding. Id recommend staying with the cpu you got, get 4gigs ddr2 ram, and a 5770 graphics card.

Too bad the person who got you the comp didnt talk it over with you =/

If you haven't used it, I would try to return it or get store credit if they have anything you want to get that would go toward your gaming build.

If you have used it, place an ad and try to get as much as you can for it and use that money toward a whole new build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom