Upgrading computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Right I've just upgraded (to what's in my sig now)...
What nobody told me was that I had to re-install windows because i came from a fairly old system (Athlon xp2500 AGP).

Ok to avoid losing all my data etc, I didn't totally format my Hard drive, I just kind of re-installed windows over the top of my other one... It already detected that windows was installed and replaced some core component files.

So now when I come back to the log in screen for windows and try to login it won't let me, it asks for me to enter my activation code (I'll do that in about 4hrs when I get home)...

Now my question is, When I log back into Windows after entering my activation code, will all my stuff be exactly the same as i left it even though some core files have been changed? Or will I have to do a major overhaul and fix up of the system?

I JUST WANT IT TO WORK ******* LOL.

Get back to me asap :D

What I would do in your scenario is get a Raptor 10k rpm drive or just a 7200rpm one and install a brand new Windows, then remove Windows from the other drive, and then you'll have access to all of your non-Windows data.

did you repair your windows install? or over write it? to repair is your best bet, cause your user accounts will still be there. windows will only be reconfigured for you new machine.

Does it matter that both my current Drives are ATA133 and not SATA?

**EDIT**
yes i repaired it

WHen you repair it does just as you said and replaces the operating system files only. Once you activate your data will still be there like you left it, and most likely even your system settings will be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom