Upgrading for college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,

So basically I'm looking to upgrade my PC before I head to college. I'm looking for a new motherboard, CPU, and Graphics card. Right now I'm running a Gigabyte motherboard, Pentium 4 3.4 HT processor and an eVGA GeForce 7800GT. I'd like to step up to a dual core and/ or 64 bit CPU.

I've been out of the computer world for a while so I'm wondering if AMD or Intel is the way to go? Are the Athlon 64 FXs still any good? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Motherboard : Gigabyte P35-DS3R
CPU : Intel Quad Core Q6600 - G0 Stepping
VGA : 8800GTS 320mb 500MHz
RAM : Crucial Ballistix - DDR2 800 PC6400

Well, those are the main components you should look forward to. What is your budget by the way?

y do you need to change your mobo sounds decent to me
yeh quad core is good
but you might not need that gfx card if u dont use it for gaming

y do you need to change your mobo sounds decent to me
yeh quad core is good
but you might not need that gfx card if u dont use it for gaming

he's gonna change the board because i doubt even the old socket775 board supports a quad-core.... u need a new board

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
MOBO: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Total comes to $363 without shipping. That leaves $140 for your video card. That won't get you much. I would keep your 7800GT for a little bit longer. It'll still play every game out there, just not on Max-Ultra-Uber settings.

Question: Will the 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Quad processor be as fast at single applications (like games) as my single core Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz processor? Basically, I know it'll multi-task like no other, but is it fast on single tasks as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom