Upgrading, advice, opinions welcome. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2006, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Upgrading, advice, opinions welcome.

First of all this is my first post and I would like to say hello. Looks like a very resourceful forum.

Ok, so I have built about 7 systems since I had declared myself being a nerd. My last build was about 2 years ago and I am starting to feel it. I am not satisfied with the way things are loading, look, perform on my system anymore. So with my wedding coming up, my fiancé is funding my new upgrade as a wedding gift (it was a trade for the 900$ necklace I bought her today, lol).

Here are my current specs as we speak

Abit NF7-S 2.0 Motherboard

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (unlocked)

SLK-948U/Vantec Tornado 92mm

3x256 XMS Corsair 3200 CL2

BBA - Radeon 9800Pro

2x20GB Maxtor 5400rpm crap drives.

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-109

I am looking to make a nice, new edge system, while keeping it cheap. I still want to have a nice gaming machine, while also something for nice for video editing/rendering *Sony Vegas*. My idea was to go Dual Core because it's getting fairly cheap now, and I hear great things from what I read. I love multi-tasking, which is my problem with the system I have now.

So I guess my question is, what I have picked out, does it look good.
Or do you see something that would conflict with each other?

I am going to reuse my case and power supply. The rest I will be replacing. These are the items I have picked out so far.

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D nForce4 Ultra -$129.00

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6V250F0 250GB Serial ATA II -$106.00

Diamond Viper Radeon X800 GTO PCI Express 256MB -$179.99(Questioning this one, is there something better for the same price?)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Processor Socket 939 Retail -$295.80

Corsair TWINX2048-3200PT 2GB DDR400 XMS3200 Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader -$194.00

Total = $904.79 (4 dollars over my limit!!!)

I want to keep it at 900$ or lower. So if you see any improvements, please share your thoughts with me. I am looking to get the best bang for the buck machine.

PS. If I plan on doing any OC it would be minor. What ever I could achieve on stock H/S/F.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

You could get a 6600 GT for less and I think it might be a little better

I wish I had my Computer...:(
Closed Thread