upgrading 940 to 970 - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 64
Default Re: upgrading 940 to 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
well, i probably missed it because you didn't mention that anywhere in your post

in that case, i would've probably gone for that too then. i would still upgrade the board, but that's because i just don't like intel boards.
Ah well I sure thought about talking about pricing and why I planned to do the upgrade. I must have got distracted while I was posting the orignal question. Tha being said I may just list the 940 for sell with the MB and see if I cant sell it for enough to cover the cost of a new MB

now to take a look through patonb's thread about MB selection which was what my 2nd question would have been.
__________________

zero4o3 is offline  
Old 12-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Slaymate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: upgrading 940 to 970

I wouldn't spend the money on a 970, it's just not worth the price. Intel handicapped it with a 24 multiplier which means you have to push the BCLK higher to compete with the 980. And that's just not going to happen, with six cores the BCLK won't go as high as your 940 will. The 970 should be priced in the $500-600 range, they should have a 980 with a locked multiplier in the $700-800 range and then the 980X at $900-1000.

If I was you, I'd keep the 940 and buy a Top-Tier Motherboard, Super-Fast Memory and a Noctua NH-D14.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slaymate is offline  
Old 12-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 64
Default Re: upgrading 940 to 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
I wouldn't spend the money on a 970, it's just not worth the price. Intel handicapped it with a 24 multiplier which means you have to push the BCLK higher to compete with the 980. And that's just not going to happen, with six cores the BCLK won't go as high as your 940 will. The 970 should be priced in the $500-600 range, they should have a 980 with a locked multiplier in the $700-800 range and then the 980X at $900-1000.

If I was you, I'd keep the 940 and buy a Top-Tier Motherboard, Super-Fast Memory and a Noctua NH-D14.
so at 200 dollars you don't think its worth the money to upgrade? I have a nice air cooler on my current setup, the only thing I would really think about replacing along with the CPU would be the MB and I have not even really had a problem with the current MB it just does not support usb 3.0 and if in the future I for some reason needed more ram, not that I see that as being an issue.
zero4o3 is offline  
Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Slaymate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: upgrading 940 to 970

What cooler do you have?

With a "good" motherboard and some super fast memory and a good cooler I'm positive I could run a 940 at 4.2 GHz or higher. A 6-core 970 sounds cool but there isn't a practical reason for it. Most games and applications are only using 4 cores or less most of the time. (4) really fast cores are going to perform better than (6) slower ones in most scenarios unless your just going to benchmark for numbers.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slaymate is offline  
Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Black Falcon 921's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 562
Default Re: upgrading 940 to 970

Hey, I thought I would join in on this thread. Your talking about the Intel Edge Program! @ $215.00 the 970 is well worth the money. The 970 is a little bit of overkill at the moment but for the price you can't say no. I will also be picking up a 970 through the big deal as well. As far as the board I would upgrade the motherboard to a little bit newer board, USB 3.0 support, SATA 6, more overclocking features. I am not a big intel board fan myself.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Black Falcon 921 is offline  
Old 12-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 64
Default Re: upgrading 940 to 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
What cooler do you have?

With a "good" motherboard and some super fast memory and a good cooler I'm positive I could run a 940 at 4.2 GHz or higher. A 6-core 970 sounds cool but there isn't a practical reason for it. Most games and applications are only using 4 cores or less most of the time. (4) really fast cores are going to perform better than (6) slower ones in most scenarios unless your just going to benchmark for numbers.
I have the megahalems with 2 fans set up to push/pull towards the back of the case at 3.9 I run cooler then stock settings with the stock fan, that being said I am using the OZC gold memory and fairly confident I could push it up to 4.2, just have notI agree with you 4 fast cores are better then 6 slower cores for playing games. if I change my mind, I imagine I can probably sell the 970 for more then I paid for it anyway.

I realize the megahalems may not be the best air cooler out at the moment, but I think you will probably agree that seeing how I got it for free, I dont think its worth the money to upgrade the cooler. I wouldnt mind one of those copper true 120's like you have though
zero4o3 is offline  
Old 12-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Slaymate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: upgrading 940 to 970

The Prolimatech Megahalems is a fine cooler. The base of it is fairly flat but you can always lap it for a few more degrees of coolness.

Heatsink Lapping Guide
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slaymate is offline  
Old 12-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Druid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,065
Default Re: upgrading 940 to 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Falcon 921 View Post
Hey, I thought I would join in on this thread. Your talking about the Intel Edge Program! @ $215.00 the 970 is well worth the money. The 970 is a little bit of overkill at the moment but for the price you can't say no. I will also be picking up a 970 through the big deal as well. As far as the board I would upgrade the motherboard to a little bit newer board, USB 3.0 support, SATA 6, more overclocking features. I am not a big intel board fan myself.
Yeah, I wish I worked at bestbuy or something, so I could take advantage of this. My 920 is more than I'll need for anything for a few years though, so I would just buy it and sell it. Then I would be able to get something better for the same money later.
__________________

__________________
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970
Ram: 12GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Druid is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading to Win 7 Skiller. Microsoft Windows and Software 9 12-12-2009 09:55 PM
Upgrading my box jenningsad System Upgrades 4 10-28-2009 07:22 PM
Upgrading Nick1221 System Upgrades 17 12-27-2006 01:20 AM
Upgrading Gianmbaio System Upgrades 1 12-24-2006 10:44 PM
Upgrading Old PC... One_mic021 System Upgrades 6 12-21-2005 12:24 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.