upgrading 940 to 970

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero4o3

Baseband Member
I just ordered my new i7-970 to replace the 940 I put in my computer when I built it at the end of this summer, when I ordered the 940 it came with an intel MB the dx58so, I know hte board supports the 970 but was playing with the idea of upgrading hte MB also and just selling the intel MB along with my 940.

I guess my question is, if you where in my shoes would you do the same thing or should I just keep my MB and swap the CPU?

If I had the money I would upgrade both. Of course, you are asking a forum of performance enthusiasts whether or not to upgrade, though.

the question is, really just about would you upgrade the MB, I wont see a real performance increase, but I was thinking it would give me the ability to push up to 12 gigs of ram in the future from 6, and USB 3.0 support. I may just keep the intel board and sell the 940 alone.

I'd defdfinately run a bios update before you do anything to ensure the hex core runs.

I wouldn't update the board yet, you can run up to 16Gigs of ram, but only have 4 slots. 12Gigs is alot though.

I'd defdfinately run a bios update before you do anything to ensure the hex core runs.

I wouldn't update the board yet, you can run up to 16Gigs of ram, but only have 4 slots. 12Gigs is alot though.

im buying it through the same program I got my 940 and MB from this summer, they now have the 960 and 970 with the same MB I already have, I will definitly be updating the bios before I install the new CPU

then again why upgrade your 940 when you can buy a descent MB and overclock the 940 to like 4.0ghz and get a nice air cooler. Unless you really need the performance of the 970 which in most cases i think is overkill

well, if i were in your shoes (and played around with that kind of money), i would've sprung the extra cash for the 980x. would also upgrade the board if i had the cash.

well, if i were in your shoes (and played around with that kind of money), i would've sprung the extra cash for the 980x. would also upgrade the board if i had the cash.

then again why upgrade your 940 when you can buy a descent MB and overclock the 940 to like 4.0ghz and get a nice air cooler. Unless you really need the performance of the 970 which in most cases i think is overkill

I think both of yall missed that I picked up the 970 for 200 bucks new direct from intel. if I was throwing down full value for a 970 (not that I would) I would probably get the 980

my 940 is currently OC to 3.9 and runs great, but for 200 bucks how could I pass up going with a nice intel hex core, and I will probably end up OC it also, although I am not to sure on that at this moment.

oh and Sniper, I agree I think in most cases my OC 940 is overkill :lol: While playing games I sit at around 15% cpu usage on my 940 (BTW I only paid around 250 for my 940 and the MB so I figure if I can get 50% of the value of a new i7 for my 940 selling it the upgrade would be stupid to pass up)

I currently have 6 gigs of ram, I wouldnt run 16 on this board because I wouldnt want to drop down to single channel, the thought process I had was that if I am going to take apart the machine I might aswell upgrade the MB, but I think at this point I am telling myself to not waste the money. I have a horrible time making up my mind on a purchase and the extra paycheck we get this month will be hard for me to settle on something to spend it on hehe

I will deifnitly do some searches for upgrading to hex core over the weekend to prepare myself though.

I think both of yall missed that I picked up the 970 for 200 bucks new direct from intel. if I was throwing down full value for a 970 (not that I would) I would probably get the 980

well, i probably missed it because you didn't mention that anywhere in your post ;)

in that case, i would've probably gone for that too then. i would still upgrade the board, but that's because i just don't like intel boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom