upgrades for my pc - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 113
Default upgrades for my pc

hi guys i got a Asus m2n32 professional MB, 7900gtx (think im going to buy a 8800gtx), i got amd athlon 4600+ dual core. 2 gigs of corsair xms2 ddr2 dual. Hiper 580W Type-R Modular PSU - Blue

my questions are how much difference would a 6000+ do for me, would it be worth the buck? also im running windows xp professional, i done a bit of reading and it would seem 4 gig ram is only worth doing if you got 64bit processor, is this true? because i was also thinking of buying 2 gig ram so i got 4gig? i noticed some of you guys got 4gig on a none 64bit rig.

on nvidia website i noticed hyper power is needed for 9000 series cards? what is this and does this mean i cant run them with motherboard/psu?


thanks for your time guys i know these n00b questions all the time but any help is much appreciated without you guys a would no doubt waste my money, lol!
__________________

06Skywalker is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techalicious
 
Redmo0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,566
Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n
Default Re: upgrades for my pc

If your planning on getting a high end video card then a CPU like a 6000+ would benefit you.

It's probably worth sticking to 2 gig of ram if you only have a 32 bit OS.

I have never head of "hyper power", probably just a gimmick to get you to waste your money.

Instead of the 8800gtx, look at the HD 4850.
__________________

__________________
Back to stay?
Redmo0n is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
stalin90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,371
Default Re: upgrades for my pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Skywalker View Post
hi guys i got a Asus m2n32 professional MB, 7900gtx (think im going to buy a 8800gtx), i got amd athlon 4600+ dual core. 2 gigs of corsair xms2 ddr2 dual. Hiper 580W Type-R Modular PSU - Blue
id get a 9800gtx instead there prolly cheaper and perform better

Quote:
my questions are how much difference would a 6000+ do for me, would it be worth the buck? also im running windows xp professional, i done a bit of reading and it would seem 4 gig ram is only worth doing if you got 64bit processor, is this true? because i was also thinking of buying 2 gig ram so i got 4gig? i noticed some of you guys got 4gig on a none 64bit rig.
you would benefit alot from the upgrade your cpu and expecially if u get a high end card. and most systems now are 64 bit compatable, pretty much all core2 and athlon 64 systems are 64bit compatible its just that you need a 64bit os. also if u get another 2 gb it might only show like 3-3.5 gb, but on mine b4 i got a 64bit os it only showed 2.25... but if u dont have a 64bit os id stick with 2gb and use the money to put forward to ur video card or cpu

Quote:
on nvidia website i noticed hyper power is needed for 9000 series cards? what is this and does this mean i cant run them with motherboard/psu?
ive never heard of it, sometimes they make fancy names for useless stuff. like some ppl think u need sli ready memory to use sli... you dont.
i think ur psu will do fine with what ur looking at, as long as it has 2 pci-e 6pins most video cards today will run on it.
Quote:
thanks for your time guys i know these n00b questions all the time but any help is much appreciated without you guys a would no doubt waste my money, lol!
np.
__________________

- INTEL Q6700 @ 3.2 - ASUS P5Q Pro - EVGA 9800GTX - 4GB Patriot Viper @ 1066 -
stalin90 is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techalicious
 
Redmo0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,566
Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n
Default Re: upgrades for my pc

Quote:
you would benefit alot from the upgrade your cpu and expecially if u get a high end card. and most systems now are 64 bit compatable, pretty much all core2 and athlon 64 systems are 64bit compatible its just that you need a 64bit os.
You don't need a 64 bit OS for a cpu.

Quote:
id get a 9800gtx instead there prolly cheaper and perform better
The 4850 is better and cheaper.
__________________
Back to stay?
Redmo0n is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 113
Default Re: upgrades for my pc

thanks alot for the advise guys, i forgot to mention im going to buy crysis and i want to get the best i can out of it, (the first crysis btw, i know, i know, im behind the times) Ive been out the pc gaming world for well over a year now, probably more like two so got some catching up to do!

if anyone has it sat on there shelf and wants to sell it "cheap cheap" (like the budgey,lol) let me know!
06Skywalker is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
stalin90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,371
Default Re: upgrades for my pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmo0n View Post
You don't need a 64 bit OS for a cpu.



The 4850 is better and cheaper.
where in there does it say u have to have a 64 bit os, just commenting on where he said- "i noticed some of you guys got 4gig on a none 64bit rig", and yea it might be better but im an nvidia guy
__________________

- INTEL Q6700 @ 3.2 - ASUS P5Q Pro - EVGA 9800GTX - 4GB Patriot Viper @ 1066 -
stalin90 is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 113
Default Re: upgrades for my pc

just bought a new hd 4850 for 85 so no complaing there! thanks for the advise guys! saving for a new chip now!
06Skywalker is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart
 
Hussein19891's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,209
Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891
Default Re: upgrades for my pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Skywalker View Post
just bought a new hd 4850 for 85 so no complaing there! thanks for the advise guys! saving for a new chip now!
Nice choice. Nvidia is great company, even though Ati is giving them a run for their money at the moment. Just be thankful you got a decent card for your money.
__________________


Hussein19891 is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 113
Default Re: upgrades for my pc

thank full i am! =)
__________________

06Skywalker is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggested upgrades for this system flushentitypacket New Systems | Building and Buying 3 03-07-2008 05:48 PM
my upgrades suske New Systems | Building and Buying 2 07-28-2007 08:25 AM
Sony quietly upgrades PSP processor Harper Sony Playstation 0 06-26-2007 08:47 PM
Upgrades jebathan New Systems | Building and Buying 5 03-24-2007 06:17 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.