Upgrades to gaming system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mav3rick

Beta member
Hey guys...

Ok, So I am looking at upgrading my machine but it has been a while since I last looked at it and the gear seems to be changiong, updating etc more often than I change my pants...

Here's the spec's of my current machine:

Motherboard
Gigabyte EP43-UD3L - S775, P43, 4DDR2, PCIE 2.0, SATA2, GbLAN, ATX, FSB1600(O.C), UD Mainboard

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, LGA775, 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache1333 Mhz FSB 45nm

RAM
Kingston 4GB Kit, 1066MHz HyperX DDR2, PC2-8500 CL5, 240 Pin DIMM (Kit of 2)

HDD
Samsung 1000GB 3.5" SATA2, 32MB Cache, 7200RPM

GRAPHICS
Sapphire PCIE 2.0 HD4830 512MB - Onboard HDMI, DL-VI, SVGA, Dual Slot Fan Cooler

POWER SUPPLY
CoolerMaster Extreme Plus Power V2.3 550W

CASE
Antec 'Three hundred' Tower Gaming Case

COOLING
Top Mounted Case Fan - 140mm
Rear Mounted Case Fan - 120mm

And a few things I am considering upgrading to, with prices from my usual computer shop

CPU
Intel Core i7 950 - LGA 1366, 3.06 GHz 8MB Cache - $319, or
Intel Core i5 655 - LGA 1156, 3.20 GHz 4MB Cache - $249

GRAPHICS
Sapphire HD6850 1GB GDDR5 HDMI PICE - $249

POWER SUPPLY
850W Antec Quattro - $205.10

CASE
Antec 'Nine Hundred Two' Tower Gaming Case - $149

COOLING
Will end up with room for about 5 or 6 Case fans if I upgrade the case... - $50

So, my predicament is - I dont particularly want to spend the $900-1000 just like that and upgrade it all... I play online FPS games quite regularly (mainly Americas Army 3).

What would you guys suggest is the more important upgrades here, to increase FPS and overall gaming performance. Also, would upgrading things like the CPU, or Graphics card also require an upgrade of the Mobo?

Your current machine would do better with a CPU overclock and a better GPU for AA3 and other online FPS i can think of.

Getting an i5 or i7 would need an overhaul on your machine that youve stated you dont want to do.

Your current machine would do better with a CPU overclock and a better GPU for AA3 and other online FPS i can think of.

Getting an i5 or i7 would need an overhaul on your machine that youve stated you dont want to do.

Awesome... Thanks Mguire. Thats pretty much what I was thinking aswell... So, would the 1GB HD6850 be a significant improvement from the 512MB HD4830, or would it only be marginal? Am I better off getting somethinga bit different, slightly more expensive to make it worthwhile? Also - will upgrading the Power Supply have any advantages other than having a bit more efficient PC?

Your PSU is completely fine to me and a bit overkill but thats never bad :)

The 6850 will serve you well and will be a nice upgrade over the 4830 but id recommend OCing your CPU a tad if you havent already.

Awesome... I will definately do that then. Will pop down and grab the Graphics Crad tomorrow...

I have OC'd my CPU a teeny weeny bit but I was worried about overheating it.. Will give it a better crack once I have a few more fans to keep it cool. Thanks alot for the help mate... Do you suggest using software to OC the CPU, or go through the BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom