Upgrade wishlist....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have to have pairs to support dual channel. Like 2 1gb sticks for 2gb and 2 2gb sticks for 4 gb... or dual dual channel using 4 1gb sticks.

I think you have to have pairs to support dual channel. Like 2 1gb sticks for 2gb and 2 2gb sticks for 4 gb... or dual dual channel using 4 1gb sticks.

I think its as long as two of them are the same/pairs

Like this......

Right now I have four slots, lets call it Slots 1, 2, 3, & 4.

Both my G.Skill 1GB RAM are on Slot 1 and Slot 3

Both are the same so I can run dual channel on it. So Slot 2 and Slot 4 are empty.

But if I decide to add more ram onto my system and take advantage of the Dual Channel on all four them, I dont think I necessarily have to have the same ram for all four slots. So I can have.....

Slot 1: G.Skill HZ 1GB 4-4-4-12
Slot 2: G.Skill 2GB 5-5-5-15
Slot 3: G.Skill HZ 1GB 4-4-4-12
Slot 4: G.Skill 2GB 5-5-5-15

But my RAM will be running at the slowest speeds, since all four of them are PC2-6400, they will be running at 6.4Gb/s at stock but timing will be 5-5-5-15 if not overclocked.

Even though I can run 1000MHz with a 5-5-5-15 on my HZ RAM, but say I cant run 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 on the new 2GB RAM, I wont be able to run them at 1000MHz 5-5-5-15. So if the 2GB RAM can run at 1000MHz with a timing of say 6-6-6-18, then thats the best thing I can get it at, is run all four of them at 1000MHz with timing 6-6-6-18. Or just run them at 800MHz with a 5-5-5-12 timing, if possible 4-4-4-12 depending on the 2GB RAM.

yeah you should try to match all RAM in the computer if at all possible for best results. im pretty sure all sticks run at the same mhz and timings, so you wouldn't want to get any ram that was slower than your current hz's. and im almost absolutely sure you will not see any benefit out of 6gb compared to 4gb unless you do CAD or anything of that nature.

yeah you should try to match all RAM in the computer if at all possible for best results. im pretty sure all sticks run at the same mhz and timings, so you wouldn't want to get any ram that was slower than your current hz's. and im almost absolutely sure you will not see any benefit out of 6gb compared to 4gb unless you do CAD or anything of that nature.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I was just kind of wondering because the fact that you can get twice as much memory for less than $40.00 more.

I bought my HZ's when it only cost $114.00

I cant believe newegg raised the price on it, but then again, I cant blame them. Grrr stupid Supply and Demand.

Edit: And oh, on other subject, I dont hear any hisses or anything like that while listening to music with my Quad Processor. Maybe one of the processor is dedicated to do the sound :D

Love it! When I had my E6600, I could hear a static sound when the computer is doing some major work load, but with this Quad, I hear crisp and the best quality sound with my onboard sound :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom