upgrade too am2 is it worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlr

In Runtime
hi guys im considering selling my gear and going to am2,i will be selling my motherboard cpu and ram,(look at sig for details)
just wondering if its worth me going to am2 and if ill see a noticeble difference in speed,

this is what im thinking of getting

cpu
Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

motherboard
Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

ram

was only thinking of upgrading because of the move to ddr2

wait 5 months if your rig doesn't desperately need upgrading then you can buy an am2+ motherboard and a k10 series am2+ processor maybe some ddr3 if you have some cash left....

well i was only considering this as after looking on ebay ive noticed the cpu a ram i have is selling for more now than i paid 6 months ago so may even have some change left over,if i wait i may not get as good a price for them

with that processor and the DDR2 ram you should see a pretty nice improvement, the 6000x2 performs the same as a E6600 core 2 duo, so it must be good.
And since you will have an AM2 board you can easily upgrade to the newer AMD processors that are coming out soon.

i havent heard great things bout the xms but if thats all that avialible then should be ok guess. if ur o/c gskill is the best

well i was only considering this as after looking on ebay ive noticed the cpu a ram i have is selling for more now than i paid 6 months ago so may even have some change left over,if i wait i may not get as good a price for them

well sell it then!!!! lol I thought you were just casually thinking of upgrading just for the sake of it........ but just to mention am2+ boards are suppose to start appearing next month ( I know in the world of tech there isn't any point waiting as each week something new and better is released but surely not when theyre so close. I would sell now then go 2-3 weeks with an old machine and then buy an am2+ board with a 4200x2 a nice cooler and the g-skill ram so that when it comes to k10 time you only need a new cpu...

i havent heard great things bout the xms but if thats all that avialible then should be ok guess. if ur o/c gskill is the best

i can overclock my xms just as well as gskill (ie 4-3-3-5 @ 500+mhz). it just takes a little more patience and adjustment. which can be a PITA for some folks. will probably get gskill when i buy new ram, just cos i hear that the hks are monster overclockers and i'd like to see for myself. but xms are good ram, especially for how much they cost now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom