To upgrade or start over

Status
Not open for further replies.

sguffee

Baseband Member
Ok I can't decide what to do with the situation I'm in. I currently have a Dell dimension 4700 pc with a pentium 4 3.2 ghz processer, 2 gig ram, Nvidia 6600 GT card. Should I spend some money and upgrade the power supply and the graphics card or should I just go ahead and use that money towards a new rig and should I build or buy from a site such as iBUYPOWER: Custom Build Gaming Computers Desktop PCs, Notebooks. I'm looking to spend somewhere around $1000 u.s. I'm a pretty hardcore gamer so I definately want to upgrade to at least an 8800 gts card. I already have the ram and monitor so I just need the rest if its a new build. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and as always your valued opinions.

does your board have a pci express slot? What is your current power supply?

I would go with a new build.

You could probably pick up a bit of money if you sold your spare Dell parts on eBay.

Start over for sure.. The P4 won't do justice to the 8800 and not only that, you'd be stuck with a case with limited airflow.

Building would get you a much better system for the same money then if you were to order from a site like ibuypower. For $1000, you can build yourself a system with a quad, 8800gts etc. etc.

Also, about the RAM you have (what is it?), you might not want to use it especially if you're going to overclock (which you should if you haven't considered it).. Is the RAM even DDR2?

The rig I'm building sometime soon is roughly $1000 also which is what I would recommend:
Q6600 G0 (I would wait a couple weeks for the q6600 to get straightened out since you don't know for sure you're getting a G0 yet and prices are a bit higher then they should be but if you're noot overclocking you don't need the g0 which just runs cooler because of the slightly less power consumption allowing for larger overclocks) ~$275
Gigabyte DS3R $130
Crucial Ballistix 2GB D9's $80
8800GTS 320MB $260
Corsair 520W $80
Seagate 7200.10 250GB $70
Cooler Master Centurion 534 $50
Tuniq Tower $45

Start over for sure.. The P4 won't do justice to the 8800 and not only that, you'd be stuck with a case with limited airflow.

Building would get you a much better system for the same money then if you were to order from a site like ibuypower. For $1000, you can build yourself a system with a quad, 8800gts etc. etc.

Also, about the RAM you have (what is it?), you might not want to use it especially if you're going to overclock (which you should if you haven't considered it).. Is the RAM even DDR2?

The rig I'm building sometime soon is roughly $1000 also which is what I would recommend:
Q6600 G0 (I would wait a couple weeks for the q6600 to get straightened out since you don't know for sure you're getting a G0 yet and prices are a bit higher then they should be but if you're noot overclocking you don't need the g0 which just runs cooler because of the slightly less power consumption allowing for larger overclocks) ~$275
Gigabyte DS3R $130
Crucial Ballistix 2GB D9's $80
8800GTS 320MB $260
Corsair 520W $80
Seagate 7200.10 250GB $70
Cooler Master Centurion 534 $50
Tuniq Tower $45

nice build man.... but question tho, since when was the 520hx 80$ i might have missed out on new deals since i was out of town since sunday....

Ok to answer a few of the questions. Yes it does have a pci-express slot its currently being occupied by my nvidia 6600 GT. The power supply is rated at 400w so if I was planning on upgrading the graphics card to an 8800 I would need to also upgrade the power supply. The ram I have is G. skill hks so I know its good for overclocking in a build. Ok so it looks as though I'm set for a new build. I want to go intel route for sure. Got any recommendations on a good intel build for around $1000? Thanks for all the help.

Ok to answer a few of the questions. Yes it does have a pci-express slot its currently being occupied by my nvidia 6600 GT. The power supply is rated at 400w so if I was planning on upgrading the graphics card to an 8800 I would need to also upgrade the power supply. The ram I have is G. skill hks so I know its good for overclocking in a build. Ok so it looks as though I'm set for a new build. I want to go intel route for sure. Got any recommendations on a good intel build for around $1000? Thanks for all the help.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P35-DS3R
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
RAM - 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 CAS4
Graphics - EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply - Corsair 520HX (From buy.com)
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 16MB Cache
Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner
Optional Aftermarket HSF - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (From svc.com)

Comes to about $1000 w/o shipping. Case is your choice. With a case, it will go above $1000, so if you want....drop the e6750, to an e6550.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom