To upgrade or start over - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 36
Default To upgrade or start over

Ok I can't decide what to do with the situation I'm in. I currently have a Dell dimension 4700 pc with a pentium 4 3.2 ghz processer, 2 gig ram, Nvidia 6600 GT card. Should I spend some money and upgrade the power supply and the graphics card or should I just go ahead and use that money towards a new rig and should I build or buy from a site such as iBUYPOWER: Custom Build Gaming Computers Desktop PCs, Notebooks. I'm looking to spend somewhere around $1000 u.s. I'm a pretty hardcore gamer so I definately want to upgrade to at least an 8800 gts card. I already have the ram and monitor so I just need the rest if its a new build. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and as always your valued opinions.
__________________

sguffee is offline  
Old 07-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
 
xXDuskXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 220
Default Re: To upgrade or start over

build your own
__________________

xXDuskXx is offline  
Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Tadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 124
Default Re: To upgrade or start over

does your board have a pci express slot? What is your current power supply?
__________________
Intel Q6600
GeForce 8800 GT
Gigabyte p35-ds3r
2 gig Crucial
500 gig hdd
Tadow is offline  
Old 07-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 18
Default Re: To upgrade or start over

I would go with a new build.

You could probably pick up a bit of money if you sold your spare Dell parts on eBay.
KingCobra is offline  
Old 07-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 273
Default Re: To upgrade or start over

Start over for sure.. The P4 won't do justice to the 8800 and not only that, you'd be stuck with a case with limited airflow.

Building would get you a much better system for the same money then if you were to order from a site like ibuypower. For $1000, you can build yourself a system with a quad, 8800gts etc. etc.

Also, about the RAM you have (what is it?), you might not want to use it especially if you're going to overclock (which you should if you haven't considered it).. Is the RAM even DDR2?

The rig I'm building sometime soon is roughly $1000 also which is what I would recommend:
Q6600 G0 (I would wait a couple weeks for the q6600 to get straightened out since you don't know for sure you're getting a G0 yet and prices are a bit higher then they should be but if you're noot overclocking you don't need the g0 which just runs cooler because of the slightly less power consumption allowing for larger overclocks) ~$275
Gigabyte DS3R $130
Crucial Ballistix 2GB D9's $80
8800GTS 320MB $260
Corsair 520W $80
Seagate 7200.10 250GB $70
Cooler Master Centurion 534 $50
Tuniq Tower $45
__________________
Old rig sold.. :(

Dell Vostro 1700:
C2D T5470, 8600m GT, WXGA+ screen, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, Vista Ultimate
mrfluffles is offline  
Old 07-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: To upgrade or start over

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfluffles View Post
Start over for sure.. The P4 won't do justice to the 8800 and not only that, you'd be stuck with a case with limited airflow.

Building would get you a much better system for the same money then if you were to order from a site like ibuypower. For $1000, you can build yourself a system with a quad, 8800gts etc. etc.

Also, about the RAM you have (what is it?), you might not want to use it especially if you're going to overclock (which you should if you haven't considered it).. Is the RAM even DDR2?

The rig I'm building sometime soon is roughly $1000 also which is what I would recommend:
Q6600 G0 (I would wait a couple weeks for the q6600 to get straightened out since you don't know for sure you're getting a G0 yet and prices are a bit higher then they should be but if you're noot overclocking you don't need the g0 which just runs cooler because of the slightly less power consumption allowing for larger overclocks) ~$275
Gigabyte DS3R $130
Crucial Ballistix 2GB D9's $80
8800GTS 320MB $260
Corsair 520W $80
Seagate 7200.10 250GB $70
Cooler Master Centurion 534 $50
Tuniq Tower $45
nice build man.... but question tho, since when was the 520hx 80$ i might have missed out on new deals since i was out of town since sunday....
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 273
Default Re: To upgrade or start over

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
nice build man.... but question tho, since when was the 520hx 80$ i might have missed out on new deals since i was out of town since sunday....
Hey I just got home wednesday... And didn't have a computer for like a month..

Buy.com - Corsair 520W SLI Certified Modular ATX Power Supply - CMPSU-520HX

$70AR if you use google checkout
__________________
Old rig sold.. :(

Dell Vostro 1700:
C2D T5470, 8600m GT, WXGA+ screen, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, Vista Ultimate
mrfluffles is offline  
Old 07-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: To upgrade or start over

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfluffles View Post
Hey I just got home wednesday... And didn't have a computer for like a month..

Buy.com - Corsair 520W SLI Certified Modular ATX Power Supply - CMPSU-520HX

$70AR if you use google checkout
nice find... i was wondering where u were.... u should add that link to the buy/sell hot deals section....
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 36
Default Re: To upgrade or start over

Ok to answer a few of the questions. Yes it does have a pci-express slot its currently being occupied by my nvidia 6600 GT. The power supply is rated at 400w so if I was planning on upgrading the graphics card to an 8800 I would need to also upgrade the power supply. The ram I have is G. skill hks so I know its good for overclocking in a build. Ok so it looks as though I'm set for a new build. I want to go intel route for sure. Got any recommendations on a good intel build for around $1000? Thanks for all the help.
sguffee is offline  
Old 07-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: To upgrade or start over

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguffee View Post
Ok to answer a few of the questions. Yes it does have a pci-express slot its currently being occupied by my nvidia 6600 GT. The power supply is rated at 400w so if I was planning on upgrading the graphics card to an 8800 I would need to also upgrade the power supply. The ram I have is G. skill hks so I know its good for overclocking in a build. Ok so it looks as though I'm set for a new build. I want to go intel route for sure. Got any recommendations on a good intel build for around $1000? Thanks for all the help.
Motherboard - Gigabyte P35-DS3R
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
RAM - 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 CAS4
Graphics - EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply - Corsair 520HX (From buy.com)
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 16MB Cache
Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner
Optional Aftermarket HSF - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (From svc.com)

Comes to about $1000 w/o shipping. Case is your choice. With a case, it will go above $1000, so if you want....drop the e6750, to an e6550.
__________________

__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade Advice for my system Cheeseking25 New Systems | Building and Buying 2 07-25-2007 02:28 PM
AMD X2 5000 OC?? Where to start? Ice8168 Overclocking and Modding 16 07-19-2007 11:10 PM
To upgrade? or not to upgrade? wumbo6 New Systems | Building and Buying 12 06-11-2007 12:07 AM
Unable to start windows??? trose Microsoft Windows and Software 2 05-09-2007 09:54 PM
Vista Upgrade? Saynt25 Microsoft Windows and Software 4 04-18-2007 04:48 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.