Which Upgrade Should I Choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again you do not listen to me. There is no clarity improvement, but the EAX sounds d*mn good, and it is even better with good speakers, and yes if you are using crappy speakers, then you should get speakers first, but you should AT LEAST invest in an Audigy2 ZS, which can be had for $70 on newegg! It will be a pretty big difference if you are upgrading from onboard sound or a cheapo sound card, again, not because of clearity but because of the EAX and hardware audio features. It also takes the load off the CPU.

Lol, I guess it's true then what I read... Hardware audio is being phased out in windows vista because of all people like you who use onboard audio that is totally free. That is one of the reasons I am not going to get Vista, along with the fact that M$ is only going to give it limited opengl support, AND it eats over 500mb of memory after a clean install with nothing else installed. Vista is going to be balls for gaming, and pretty much everything else as well, because microsoft won't be including any of the features that made it just barely worth getting. WinFX for example. If you had a decent set of stereo speakers and an Audigy2 ZS, you would have a different opinion on the subject. The problem is already null however because the starter of this thread already has an Audigy2, so at least he is informed in the area of gaming sound cards.

you're right. Your life changing letdowns are the fault of me and others similar to me. You gotta understand buddy... companies aren't here to make you happy. They're here to turn a profit. That's what the business entity is. Quit griping... sheesh.

Ryan

To answer your questions, I do own a Audigy 2 ZS already and I have a decent set of Creative 5.1 Speakers. I understand what you are saying about why i should go for more RAM but at the end of the day I can play all games on high settings apart from BF2 which is why I wanted the Sound Card. It should help me get an extra 5+ fps which would then make it playable on high settings.

I can't really upgrade any other part of my machine without changing over to skt 939 and PCI Express as I have pretty much maxed the CPU and Graphics card out. I know i can get the likes of a 6800Ultra or X8050 (If thats the one) but to do thsi would cost nearly the same I can get a 7800GT for.

Otherwise for improving game loading times look at getting one or 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16822144160

Yes I did look into buying a pair of Raptors as they seem to be the leading Hard Drives atm but as I don't really understand SATA I am unsure in what the do or dont do.

the Raptor drives will only improve loading/saving times.
what you want is more gaming performance.

an X-Fi will help in BF2, but yes, it is pretty darn expensive for the performance gain.
but then again, it's not your money.

although I think having 2GB RAM will give you a better performance gain than the X-Fi, although the X-Fi gives you better sound. but yes it is expensive to get the sound difference

I can pick up a Fatal1ty for £135 ($233) whereas the RAM will set me back £188 (£325). Although the money isnt really an option as long as its less than £200 I still want teh best bang for my buck if you know what i mean.

Though you lot have give very good reasons on which upgrade I should pick, I think this is gonna be down to me as you all have very valid reasons but on different things. But on one note, you say that the raptors will improve boot/loading times. does this mean that it would load the textures better in BF2 or would that be a graphics card or RAM job?

most of your loading is done before you start playing the game. it doesn't usually load things as you go through, with the exception of maybe Half-Life 1 and 2, but that is only at certain periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom