upgrade questions? rampage formula? Q6600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

therascalking

Devious Techie
hey guys...

so ive been working hard and ive got about $1000 to spend... while putting away ~$3-400 for an iTouch later, that still leaves me with ~$700 to spend... and what better than to blow it all on my PC! :D

you can see my specs in my sig... and while my computer is far from being crummy... i did a pretty terrible job making sure it was somewhat future-proof... (knowing what i know now... nForce 570 chipset? 640MB GPU? ... seriously...? lol)
anyways, so heres what i had in mind:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz Processor - OEM $234.99
- so ive been wanting to step up to quad core probably... and... i mean, i love AMD, but... they just dont seem to keep up with intel in the quad department... and ive heard alot of really good things about this chip... especially its overclock-ability...

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound $6.99
- to put on that new chip... and still with my Zalman CNPS9700 for now, until i go to H20 this summer...
and then this stuff to clean and prep this one plus my old chip for use in another comp:
Arctic Silver Arcticlean ACN-60ML Thermal Material Remover & Surface Purifier

ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard $299.99
- with a new chip, i need a new mobo... and besides, the one i have now is kinda crummy, so i thought id replace it with a better one... now ive heard great things about the Maximus Formula... but not much atall about the Rampage...
all the Rampage is is just a Maximus... with the newer X48 chipset and a couple other new features... does anyone have any opinion on this board?

those, plus a new NZXT Tempest case (which probably this summer ill start a water-cooling upgrade project with :D) once theyre available... and i think ill have a much more solid build... at least till i can afford a GX2 card hehe...

anywho... it works out to about $700USD... anybody have any thoughts on my upgrade? id love to hear em :) - RK

Wait till the Quad processor drop, maybe in the end of april. You should get the Q6700 when it drops.

hmm... theres a thought... but i rather want to order it and reassemble/clean/re-wire/etc. everything while im on spring break and i have the time... and i really dont mind the price much... but what makes the Q6700 any better than the Q6600 (other than obviously the higher clock speed)? i havent hear nearly as many good things about the Q6700 as i have about the Q6600... and its not on the recommended PC components list... a bit inconsequential, i know, but... that list was made by people who really know what theyre talking about, and if people take issue with it, its changed... so... :*
unless someone wants to make a strong case for the Q6700 over the Q6600... or can give me a concrete date and amount for the price drop... so far, i think ill go ahead with my upgrade as planned... :) - RK

It isnt in the list because of its current price why pay over 200 for a 1x higher multiplier. If you want to overclock u should get it because it will be easier. If not u can go get the Q6600 and save some few cash. They are mostly the same.

and you dont need the rampage. no diff than the maximus. You can also just flash the BIOS to the rampage. extreme has a thread about it.

and the q6700 has a 10x multi. OC dream. the q6600 only has a 9x. I would wait and get it.

I would suggest the abit gt x38. or, get a cheap p35, and wait for prices on DDR3 to drop, then get x48 and ddr3. OR buy a cheap p35, and wait for nehalem to come out. then really upgrade. save the money.

EDIT- proto, the price for the q6700 is scheduled for a drop to 266 at the end of april. that is why it is being suggested

and you dont need the rampage. no diff than the maximus. You can also just flash the BIOS to the rampage. extreme has a thread about it.

and the q6700 has a 10x multi. OC dream. the q6600 only has a 9x. I would wait and get it.

I would suggest the abit gt x38. or, get a cheap p35, and wait for prices on DDR3 to drop, then get x48 and ddr3. OR buy a cheap p35, and wait for nehalem to come out. then really upgrade. save the money.

EDIT- proto, the price for the q6700 is scheduled for a drop to 266 at the end of april. that is why it is being suggested

yeah but it isnt yet the price drop will be on April 20. Wouldnt the MoBo depend if he is going to use Xfire or SLI and the type of ram.

yeah but it isnt yet the price drop will be on April 20. Wouldnt the MoBo depend if he is going to use Xfire or SLI and the type of ram.

that is why I said the END of april.

and yes it depends on that. But I am saying the rampage is WAY overpriced and not worth it. If he wants to go with a quad, and good OC board, the p35 is the way to go. Then he can save money for nehalem

EDIT. my bad proto. forgot you are the one who suggested the q6700, and were responding to RK. my bad, I thought you were fighting it. So, I am arguing about something totally off base. (its been a bad day...)

the q6700 has a 10x multiplier right? compared to the q6600 9x.
Meaning it should clock better, make sure you get the G0 if you didn't already know.
And i hear that that mobo is quite a beast. GL!

edit: a tad late, due to lots of downloading ;)

that is why I said the END of april.

and yes it depends on that. But I am saying the rampage is WAY overpriced and not worth it. If he wants to go with a quad, and good OC board, the p35 is the way to go. Then he can save money for nehalem

EDIT. my bad proto. forgot you are the one who suggested the q6700, and were responding to RK. my bad, I thought you were fighting it. So, I am arguing about something totally off base. (its been a bad day...)

ok i am also having a bad and stress day my final draft of science fair if due tomorrow and i havent tested nothing and parents making me clean the house because my grandparents are coming on wednesday from China.

the q6700 has a 10x multiplier right? compared to the q6600 9x.
Meaning it should clock better, make sure you get the G0 if you didn't already know.
And i hear that that mobo is quite a beast. GL!

edit: a tad late, due to lots of downloading ;)

i think Q6700 was always G0 (G Zero).

Get a Intel MoBo, if you are going to use a single GPU or CrossFire.
Get a NVIDIA nForce, if you are going to SLI.

Correct me if I am wrong.

and you dont need the rampage. no diff than the maximus.
who really needs anything? lol... and it is slightly different... X48 instead of X38 is prolly the biggest reason... but it looks to be among the best boards out there without going to DDR3 (which i rather dont want to do just yet...) ... and i really dont mind the price... its only like $50 more than the Maximus... no big...

You can also just flash the BIOS to the rampage. extreme has a thread about it.
hmm... not sure what it is youre talking about exactly... link mebbe?

the q6700 has a 10x multi. OC dream. the q6600 only has a 9x. I would wait and get it.

mkaymkay... sounds like there is a pretty strong case for the Q6700... and the whole 10x vs 9x multiplier thing makes perfect sense... i wasnt sure was all... but thats why i asked here first :)

thats an idea... except, im really looking to get something kind of... well... now... cuz my other board is failing rapidly (random, odd BSODs... and when i took it in and had my friend work on it, he said he narrowed it down and that his #1 guess would be its a mobo problem...) so id rather like to replace it now-ish...

yeah but it isnt yet the price drop will be on April 20.
proto, the price for the q6700 is scheduled for a drop to 266 at the end of april. that is why it is being suggested

ahHA! so... its dropping down to $266 on April 20? is this for sure? because i just looked on newegg... and its like $539 for a Q6700... and a $200 difference is just too much for me... so it looks like i might wait... and pray my comp holds up until then :*

Wouldnt the MoBo depend if he is going to use Xfire or SLI and the type of ram.

im an nVidia kinda guy, so... if anything, itd be SLI later on down the road... but odds are more than good that im just gonna end up replacing my 8800GTS with a 9800GX2 and just call it a day there... SLI seems like a lot of work and expense, so...
and id like to stick with DDR2 and just overclock it a bit for as long as possible... DDR3 is just too expensive right now for the actual performance gain...

the q6700 has a 10x multiplier right? compared to the q6600 9x. Meaning it should clock better, make sure you get the G0 if you didn't already know. And i hear that that mobo is quite a beast. GL!

G0...? i keep hearing alot about this... 'stepping' and such... but i honestly cant say i understand it really... just that G0 seams to be better somehow :/

and about the mobo... same with the chip, youll have to make a case for it to sway me... other than the price, which i dont mind... and waiting for new things to come out, which i rather dont want to do... i can always upgrade later, i figure :]

also, any thoughts on thermal paste? which is best? or is that Mx-2 pretty good? i had it narrowed down between that and this IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound stuff... but went with the Arctic...

thanks for the opinions tho, and keep em coming! yall really help me out and im sure ill have a better build cuz of it :) - RK

*WOW that was a long post XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom