Upgrade Question...Pls help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11
Default Upgrade Question...Pls help

Ok, the computer i have now is very old, like about 5 years old. I was planning on upgrading and building my own computer, but now i see that the am2 is coming out soon. Should i wait for that? or should upgrade now?

Thanks in advance...

hennessy is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Shumway's Avatar
Join Date: May 2004
Location: London - Ontario - Canada
Posts: 2,729

If your computer doe's what you want now just wait,If not just do minimal upgrade's to get you by till then

Shumway is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11

Right now my computer has 256mb of ram, 20gig hd, pentium 3 processer 868 mhz, and thats all i have...

let me get this straight, the am2 has a different socket than the ones right now?
hennessy is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,312

If you're willing to wait for AM2, then I would get the next gen intel CPU's instead, because from the ways things are looking, they are going to crush AM2.
so, umm, err yeah
003 is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,475

AMD redid their memory controller so it was delayed until June 6. DDR2 667 was slower so they decided to support DDR2 800. 65nm will also clock a lot higher.

Intel will also release conroe around that time which is even faster than AMD at the same clockspeed. I would wait and see what happens with that. If you can run one at 4-5Ghz it will a lot better then AMD if you overclock.

We still don't know what AMD will be out with though.
turtile is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 80

sorry that you have that system, but i think you should be strong and hold of tell conroe, with the dx10 video cards and vista. or if you can't wait get a dual core and wait tell march and get the new 7900.

Intel P4 3.4 @ 3.67(OC)
Evga 6600 300/500 @ 350/570
PNY 2X512mbs cl2.5
ECS motherboard
liquid cooling AWC-1
I\'m not a Geek..... I\'m a level 27 Palitan.
THE_VERN is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.