Upgrade processor or graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAAdamKK

Beta member
Basically I've never upgraded parts before, I've always been a 'casual' pc gamer and have been contempt with 30-40 fps. However, now I'm playing alot more seriously and want to get that up to a 60fps average.

I currently have a q6600 quad @ 2.4 and an 8800gts 640mb also 4gb ddr3 and am at 1680x1050. When I'm in game I can get just over 100 fps if I'm looking directly at the sky but as soon as I get in heavy combat and stuff get's crazy it'll drop as far as 25.

I'm on a budget and plan on maybe upgrading both eventually but want to upgrade something ASAP as I have a tournament coming up soon, so for now if any of you have any suggestions as to which one would be better to upgrade, I'd be very thankful.

Well whats your budget? A few good selections off the bat will be 460/465, or 6850/6870 in the 170-270 range. In upgrading your graphics card you might want to learn how to OC your CPU but make sure you have an aftermarket heatsink for it first (if you dont have one). Your CPU is still pretty strong for games of today but the GPU is getting old.

Your CPU is fine, your actual GPU is still fine, it may be running a lil hot? Try cleaning the vents, also what games is it? If it's your GPU get a GTX 460 1GB Version or a 6870. Your CPU will be the limiting factor most likely then but I highly doubt a Q6660 will bottleneck you, If it does overclock it.

You mosrt likely can overclock your cpu to about 3.0Ghz on the stock cooler, as most older chips don't need a Vcore boost till after that.

So, I'm with the rest, a better gpu will give you your best investment.... a new cpu, you'd want to go either 1156 or 1366 so also a new mobo.

My budget at the moment is around $250-300 and I play L4D2 and BC2.

Thanks for the advice guys I'm looking at a radeon 6870 on amazon now. I'll have a look into overclocking too and upgrading the sink, I've always been a bit dismissive of it since I'm no expert on the technical side of things but I guess you only learn by trying.

Peace out.

Its not really as hard as it seems. And unless you find a super deal on Amazon i suggest using Newegg.com for your purchases if your in the states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom