upgrade or new build openion

Status
Not open for further replies.
gt7sanremo mentioned that the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz don't over clock as well as the old ones, what about the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz?is it worth the extra $80?

It is definitely worth the extra $$. q6600s are old and they aren't as good as the used to be. the q9550 is one of the best CPUs out and it will overclock nicely if you want it to.

thanks for the help...
now is that gain with little quad support would actually be useful. i mean many of the software and even games that is already out don't benefit from quad, is there a change within this year or are we looking at 2 or more years because if that's was the case then going with the Q9** wouldn't be beneficial ?

I would say its worth it. Unless you really really are stretching for a q9550, I think it will be better to have down the road. If you want to cut down though, I can't say anything bad about an e8500 except that if you're doing a bunch things in the background, you will see it slow down.

well i honestly do mostly 3D work on my machine, so usually i would have 4 or more applications running at the same time(now for example: i have maya, photoshop,windows media player,zbrush and firefox.
and as much i would like to have an i7 (based on 3d benchmarks) i cant afford it at this point and from the looks of it i wont be able my this new build anyway. so if i can save and get something decent while i wait for prices that would be best.

btw would a 550 power supply do the job or am i going to have to go with 750?

Oh nevermind, I saw the rest of your setup. If you're going for a Q9400 or Q9550, 550w psu would power that system easily.

since you're doing alot of 3D work, definitely get a q9550. all of those programs take advantage of multi-core processors so you will see a huge advantage, especially when rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom