Upgrade, need help deciding if i should do it - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,601
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Upgrade, need help deciding if i should do it

Well i was going to step up my core 216, but im finding that it can handle everything at high, except crysis obviously with decent FPS, so im gonna skip that.

So i have a little bit of cash to throw around.

I'm thinking about getting this:

NCIX.com - Buy Patriot PE32GS25SSDR Warp 32GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD 1 Year MFR Warranty - PE32GS25SSDR In Canada.

and windows vista HP 64bit.

I might also get another 4gb of ram since now i would be able to utilize it (have 32bit os right now)

I would use the SSD for Vista only, maybe the odd game or app. I know it does not leave me much room to play with on the os drive but i have plenty of space.
So how is that ssd anyway? at that price it is hard to say no to. That sale ends today, but it was on sale last time as well, and ncix has a sale every other day so it will most likely be the same price, or lower in a few days again.

So...Thoughts?

Also, one dumb question. I have never dual booted. So would i have to reinstall drivers, ect. again for vista, or would it be fine since i installed them threw xp before?
__________________

__________________
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: Upgrade, need help deciding if i should do it

I would read this anandtech article before buying a ssd.

AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ

It's kind of long (31 pages) but has a lot of good info amd could save you some problems down the line.

You will have to install everything in Vista just like you would if it was the first os you installed on the system.

Personaly I am a big fan of ssd's and think they are a moch better upgrade then most people give them credit for.
__________________

__________________

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
HAVOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milford, Connecticut
Posts: 4,218
Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC
Default Re: Upgrade, need help deciding if i should do it

I wouldn't waste time or money on a 32G SSD just to upgrade Vista 64 on it.

If I was going to go SSD i'd want to utilize it with some games or some apps or something. 32g is just not much these days. I go with at least 160G to 250G.
HAVOC is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Whirlwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,400
Default Re: Upgrade, need help deciding if i should do it

I am not sure I would even bother with vista, when the next OS right around the corner
__________________
Cooler Master CM Stacker Case
Asus P8Z68 V Pro/Gen 3
Intel i5-2500K
Cooler Master V6 GT Heat Sink
8 GB G-Skill DDR 3 1600
GTX 570 SLI
Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
Grado RS1i & AKG Q701 Headphones
MAD EAR + HD Headphone Amp
Corsair CMPSU 850 Watt
Western Digital Black 500 GB
Crucial M4 64 GB SSD For Windows 7 64 Bit
Samsung 2494SW 24" LCD
Logitech G5 Mouse
Logitech G110 Keyboard
Whirlwind is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Upgrade, need help deciding if i should do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVOC View Post
I wouldn't waste time or money on a 32G SSD just to upgrade Vista 64 on it.

If I was going to go SSD i'd want to utilize it with some games or some apps or something. 32g is just not much these days. I go with at least 160G to 250G.
You can get a 160gig if you want to spend half a grand on it. Read the link Puddle posted, it tells you a lot. I wouldn't make an SSD decision without reading it.
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,601
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: Upgrade, need help deciding if i should do it

Quote:
I wouldn't waste time or money on a 32G SSD just to upgrade Vista 64 on it.
well it is for vista is super fast, and i would install common games and apps on it. 32gb is more then enough for what i will be using it for. 20gb for the os max, and thena another 12gb of play space.

Quote:
I am not sure I would even bother with vista, when the next OS right around the corner
Windows 7 is a good 2 years off before it will be used be any people other then the beta, and i would not buy it untill it has had a good update. Also, vista would replace xp, and then i could get windows seven and get rid of xp when the time comes...

also, i can't spend any more on the ssd then the one i listed, 120 is tha max for it.

i'll take a look at the article linked. But i think i will go threw this... it has a one year warranty, so if i have problems i will just return it.

EDIT: I just looked at some bad reviews for the drive, i don't think i will wast $100 on it... if you know of any other ssd's that are good that are about $100 let me know, no lower then 32gb though.

If i don't pick up the ssd i will definetly get vista and another 4gb of ram though. Might pick up a sound card instead of the ssd.
__________________
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: Upgrade, need help deciding if i should do it

Windows 7 is a lot closer then two years, I would guess it will be released by the end of the year or early '10 at the latest.
__________________

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Upgrade, need help deciding if i should do it

I'm pretty sure its slated for the end of '09 beginning of '10. Mak, can you confirm/deny that?
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,601
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: Upgrade, need help deciding if i should do it

Quote:
Windows 7 is a good 2 years off before it will be used be any people other then the beta, and i would not buy it untill it has had a good update.
^Like i said, i did not say release.... i said that.
__________________
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline  
Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
philbar71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 4,533
Send a message via AIM to philbar71
Default Re: Upgrade, need help deciding if i should do it

i think a SSD for OS is a good idea.

i have been keeping my eye on these drives and waiting for the price to come down

Newegg.com - OCZ Apex Series OCZSSD2-1APX60G 2.5&#34; 60GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk &#40;SSD&#41; - Solid State Disks

and this one

Newegg.com - OCZ Core Series V2 OCZSSD2-2C60G 2.5&#34; 60GB SATA II &#38; Mini USB 2.0 Port Internal Solid state disk &#40;SSD&#41; - Solid State Disks
__________________

__________________


The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
philbar71 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trying to upgrade old system zeldaboy101 New Systems | Building and Buying 6 11-09-2008 01:39 AM
The many versions of XP EricB Microsoft Windows and Software 6 10-26-2008 02:54 PM
Medium computer upgrade. muman System Upgrades 6 09-14-2007 04:53 PM
Upgrade Advice for my system Cheeseking25 New Systems | Building and Buying 2 07-25-2007 02:28 PM
Vista activation problem Max Power Microsoft Windows and Software 11 07-12-2007 04:01 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.