upgrade on GPU, CPU, PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol then i guess its jus gonna b Q6600+8800Gts320MB for the next (hopefully 3 years). think it can make it?

Your guess is as good as mine. 3years is a long time in computer terms, and it depends what you are willing to put up with. I still use my computer, which was goodish when I bought it about 4 years ago, but long ago came to the conclusion that I won't be able to play modern games.
That said, A friend bought his computer, top of the line, before me (about 5 years ago) and it'll still run most things, albeit a very reduced settings.

I'm looking at around the same specs as you for my new build, with the view of not doing anything to it for at least 2 - 3 years. That said, if it means not being able to run brand new games, so be it. If long term is your worry, quad core is definitely a good bet.
EDIT: if I spell 'definitely' with an 'a' one more time...

I don't know how much of an issue price is for you, but I wouldn't worry about the processor too much, get any C2D and if you overclock it properly, you'll be set for quite a while, I mean, I've seen the X-bit labs people overclock an E2160 to 3.4GHz (a little hard to get to, but achievable) and it beat out a stock X6800 in their benches that included various applications and games. I wouldn't worry so much about getting a Quad core yet because I really doubt that games within 2-4 years will even take 100% advantage of a quad core. Plenty of people are still able to play modern games on single-core/good-graphics card setups. Games are much more GPU-intensive than they are CPU-intensive. Heck, I remember being able to run FEAR, Doom 3 and HL2 on my 1.6GHz P4 which ran on 512MB of PC100 memory, and thanks to my 9600XT, I got about 40-50FPS on low-med settings (maxed out in HL2) and 30FPS in really intense parts. I got that computer 8 years ago (the video card I upgraded in late 2003)

But of course, if you've got the money and you're very comfortable spending it, then go right ahead and keep yourself future-proofed.

lol yeah with teh CPU im not all that crazy about it..i mean 275 OEM G0 Q6600...whatever, i can spit out 275. its more of the GPU...i just wanna survive for liek 3 years without worrying like ****, i cant play this game cuz my vid card cant support it, etc. and my old X800PRO radeon is kinda like screwing up on me with CS...as in it spikes and it lags...*sighs*
850+ for 3 components...seems pretty...crazy...but then thats a given.

Get a 320MB 8800GTS then like everyone else was saying, it'll last you well long enough until the next gen of cards (9800GTX/3900XTX, lol) are selling at discounted prices, it'll probably max out all features on a game like Crysis with the low resolution that you will be playing with on your TV

aight thanks, ill be getting my parts oretty soon. waitin for clubit to restock...dont feel like risking the stepping with newegg. and i kinda want that free game! or shud i just get OEM for 275..

If you were planning on getting an aftermarket cooler for the Q6600, then just get the OEM.

lol thanks man. finally a faster comp. now, i just have to find buyers for old components...u kno anyone who has a TT tsunami fitting an 8800GTS + tuniq with no problem? i've seen the antec having no prob and was wondering if its the same case with tsunami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom