Upgrade CPU or GPU which will give better performance..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willeh

In Runtime
I am interested in upgrading either my CPU or GPU, it's either one or the other.
I'm a gamer, the games I play don't really require much juice - sims 2 + all expacs and warcraft III expansion, but I do watch alot of DVDS on my pc. I also contribute to the FOLDING@HOME project.
My current CPU is AMD 3500+ overclocked to 2640 GHZ
My current video card is a Nvidia 6600LE overclocked to 500/810 DDR 2 memory - values are probably 500 / 405 or something?
I doubt my motherboard is suitable for the sockets on the intel core 2 duo processor, but I can give the name of my mobo and someone could clarify.

- Would upgrading the CPU give more on the performance boost or would upgrading the GPU give more on performance?
I'm looking for something that will last for a long time i.e a few years and something that has a chance of matching the standards of newer GPUS or CPUS in the future i.e I won't be tempted to buy the newest gpus or cpus.
-I'm from the UK and my budget is anywhere from £0 - £130 ish as an outline.
- I was thinking of the X1650 ATI card but I'm not sure..

If someone could help me pleaseee, that would be great.

you dont get intel cpu's which plug into amd sockets :). your socket is probably a 939 not sure amd isn't my strong point..... but if it is the 939 then upgrade the cpu to a Amd 64x2 3600+ it overclocks like a beast

Ah right ok sorry misread thought you said intelx2 >.<, so would going for this cpu be better than going for a gpu and also last for a while?

You can get X2s for skt939. However they are becoming more and more scarce. You can still find Dual Core Opterons (which are similar) for pretty good prices.

A X1650 is a pretty decent card for the money. See if you can find a 8600GT or even a 7900GS in your price range.

However, for what you use your computer for, I would leave it the way it is. The performance increase that you will get from upgrading your CPU doesn't make it worthwhile, IMO. Save your money for some bigger upgrades, or spend it on something else:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom