UPGRADE BUG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlwind

Fully Optimized
I am thinking about upgrading my mobo...cpu...ram

Undecided if I want to do this or not...my current rig is doing fine....like i said...it is a bug...hopefully it passes :tongue:

Was thinking along these lines.
Looks like if I would sli two 3 slot cards in the future, I would lose a couple pci slots

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

Maybe one of these...really wish for a $120GB...but still alittle pricey!
Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

What would you recommend for the following.

2 X 4GB set of ram for this board.

Nice cpu cooler for this cpu

G.Skill Ripjaws X is the lowest CAS 1600 RAM on newegg in 8GB kits (along with Corsair Vengeance).

Can't go wrong with a Noctua NH-D14, unless of course it doesn't fit in your case...

Personally, depending on specs and usage, I'd go for the SSD if you're not already using one, then RAM, then CPU cooler if $ holds out.

do you need a hyper threading? if not then go with the i5 2500K and use that money saved towards other things, or just beefier components.

do you need a hyper threading? if not then go with the i5 2500K and use that money saved towards other things, or just beefier components.

No....I am very much sure that I want that i7 2600K

I am pretty sure that I want that Mobo

I am not sure about Ram & SSD & cpu cooler

If I was building myself a new system I would go this this memory kit (same one Roark linked)

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

The NH-D14 is the top aircooler but it is huge and the Corsair H80 is more or less it's equal for only a few dollars more.

Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Newegg.com - CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

If you don't want to spend that much on a cooler I would go with the Cooler Master V6 or the Thermaltake Frio.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER V6 GT RR-V6GT-22PK-R1 120mm DynaLoop CPU Cooler w/ Universal bracket & Dual Fan

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7 (six-core ready) & i5 Compatible Five 8mm Heatpipes Dual 120mm Fans Intel & AMD Universal CPU Cooler CLP0564

If that's still more than you care to spend then the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is decent.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

The OCZ Agility 3 120GB drive is only $159.99 after a rebate. Using the latest firmware and the Microsoft AHCI driver you shouldn't have any problems. I've played around with my Agility 3 drive and the only time I could replicate any of the problems being reported was when the Intel AHCI driver was used.

Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

OK...thanks for that info Slaymate.

Now....just need to decide if i want to pull the trigger :tongue:

One more thing.

The brand new Smart Response technology speeds up data loading by caching your frequently accessed data using an installed SSD, bringing your SSD-like performance and huge capacity of HDD at an affordable price point

Does the mobo automatically do the above.

I think it does if you enable Smart Response/caching in the bios. It doesn't immediately speed up the drive but it is suppose to speed it up over time depending upon the actual applications. However with all of this caching being written to the SSD it will fill up quickly so I would seriously think about spending the extra money on 120GB drive.

I'm not sure of any of the above^ as I haven't actually messed with it. It sounded gimmicky to me so I just bought the P8P67 Deluxe instead, but I will be interested in your results if you click the trigger.

Thanks Slay.

That makes sense, enable in the bios.

Makes sense also to get a bigger SSD as you said.

I just really dont want to put $200 in a HD.....would rather throw that towards a GPU later.

Decisions...decisions

I may go ahead and grab the mobo, but wait to get an SSD

Guess I could go P67....aw man.....I need to think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom