Upgrade in approx. 5 months...What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EqOpHater

Solid State Member
So, I am looking to make some upgrades to my rig in 5 months or so. Any suggestions would be helpful. Current set up is as follows:

CPU - AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition, OC'd to 3.8Ghz
Motherboard - Asus M4A78T-E
GPU - XFX HD Radeon 4890 1GB
Memory - 4 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 Fatal1ty Edition PC3-1066/1333Mhz/9-9-9-20
HDD - WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA HD 10k
PSU - Ultra X4 750W Modular Power Supply

I think adding a crossfire 4890 would be the first step. I am also considering upgrading my motherboard. What do you think?

I think it would be a complete waiste of money upgrading a perfectly good rig other than adding the xfire GPU. Personally can't see the point upgrading to a new mobo, just spend the money on something other than this rig :)

In 5 months the field isn't going to look the same. You might be able to grab 460s in the $100 dollar range and Intel might have some new CPUs, who knows? I say don't think about it till its about that time than consider your options.

Like said your not in any need to upgrade and you've got awhile so just wait. :)

What do you do with this machine? How much you willing to spend?

That is still a pretty nice machine.

Gaming. That is the main reason I built this rig. Occasionally some minor video editing, nothing that this machine can't handle. 500$ is my max I will spend on this machine.

This is where an ssd drive would be a good upgrade.

I think this is what I willl do.

The only reason I am considering putting more money into my rig is due to the fact I will be getting back from a deployment and will have extra cash. A SSD for my OS and then another 4890 should be good for a while longer.

I appreciate the feedback.

i personally would stay away from crossfiring that card, it has no future right now. Your better off getting one of the new 69xx series from ati down the road just because it has dx 11 support and all new games are using that platform. And of course an SSD would be a nice upgrade, everything else should last quite a long time before upgrades.

In 5 months new intel cpus will be out and AMD too if I'm not mistaken. Probably new GPUs too. Any suggestion we give now may not be true in 5 months from now.

Well we know for a fact that Intel is rolling out with the new Sandy bridge in early 2011 and Amd has announced already a date for the new 69xx series of GPU's which is less then a week away if im correct. Basically that's whats gonna be new in 5 or 6 months from now. Dont know about AMD CPU's

My plan is to just upgrade to an SSD and then wait to see what happens with GPUs in the next 6 months. That being said, I have been reading lots of mixed reviews about SSDs. Several reviews I have read say the SSDs they have used quit in 2weeks to a couple months.

Has anyone been using or know of a SSD in the 30-60b range that is worth buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom