Upgrade Advice/Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williams66

Beta member
Hi there, i've assembled a list of an 'upgrade' but its really more of a complete swap-out from my old system: (The parts not mentioned here I already have.)

Just hoping the members here can give me some advice on whether this lineup will be a good one. (Bearing in mind this is for gaming purposes: i.e. running bf2142, oblivion etc on TOP settings.)

If theres any compatibility/ performance issues you know of please let me know :)

- Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.40GHz
(£197.39) (Planning to overclock to 3.2+)

- Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLi nForce 650 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
(£79.89)

- GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)
(£115.14)

- OEM Western Digital Raptor X 150GB WD1500AHFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache - OEM
(£160.96)

- BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC
(£375.99) (I belive this is a special optimised/custom one.. by BFG? Also: I have no plans to go SLi really, im not sure my wallet could take it heh.)

- BFG 800W UK/PFC Approved PSU £99.99
(£117.49)

- Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case (I trust this personally because of a friend of mine who has this, seems to keep his system down to 40c with stock cooling on similar components.)
(£68.00)

Comes to just over £1,100.

So any advice welcome, because so far trying to sort out a balance for my new system has been doing my head in!

Thanks in advance. :)

Williams66 said:
Hi there, i've assembled a list of an 'upgrade' but its really more of a complete swap-out from my old system: (The parts not mentioned here I already have.)

Lol, I wouldn't really consider this an upgrade.... it is a new build.... Looks pretty good though.

If you are planning to overclock that CPU to 3.2 Ghz, you might want to look at upgraded cooling for the CPU... I would have to look into reviews, not sure if it would be stable @ 3.2 Ghz on stock air cooling... As far as I remember, it can hit just under, or just over the 3.0 Ghz mark on stock cooling. I could be wrong.

look for G Skill memory the raptor is a waste of money and the 800 watts an overkill :)

Wooo nice build, E6600 is a awesome processor, even without overclocking it will run all the top games blindfolded, only thing id say is get a Seagate Barracuda hard drive instead, i always read on here people say seagate over WD, also ive got a 300GB Barracuda myself so i can vouch for it being a great hard drive, quiet aswell.
The Antec 900 is a great case, i got it about a month ago now and installed all my componants out of my old case into this one, it was the first time i did this and i did it successfully so its clearly a good case to work with aswell as having great looks and cooling to match.
By the way what site did you price those items up from? the E6600 is £191.28 Inc. VAT on Ebuyer(great site, got a few things from there myself) ;)

To Ethereal_Dragon
If you are planning to overclock that CPU to 3.2 Ghz, you might want to look at upgraded cooling for the CPU... I would have to look into reviews, not sure if it would be stable @ 3.2 Ghz on stock air cooling... As far as I remember, it can hit just under, or just over the 3.0 Ghz mark on stock cooling. I could be wrong.

Yea, ive heard people saying it can handle a big overclock on the stock heatsink/fan.. but like you said; i would also prefer to look into it first before i burn a hole in the case with �200 :p

To Coke 27
look for G Skill memory the raptor is a waste of money and the 800 watts an overkill

Ahh.. ok.. this was one bit I wasnt sure about, what wattage is enough for this build would you say? 600? even with the 8800?

To Jonny_uk:
By the way what site did you price those items up from? the E6600 is �191.28 Inc. VAT on Ebuyer(great site, got a few things from there myself)

overclockers.co.uk i havnt really looked around yet.. got to be my next task. it'll be nice to shave a few quid off that total :)

Thanks for the advice guys! Like i said id rather know whats the best for this cash..

And **** yea it'll be kickass... i cant wait to play the DX10 games on this beast.. crysis..*drools* hehe

Cheers again :)

i would say go with what jonny_uk showed ya then you should be good have fun with your build :)

Weeell.. with those extra pounds shaved off.. i could get the

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX KO ACS3 SILENT 768MB

An 8800 gone all Green and hulk like..

- GeForce 8800 GTX core running at 630MHz
- Shader Clock Speed of 1460MHz
- 768MB GDDR3 Memory running at 2000MHz

hmm.. worth it? thats like the r600 and whatnot isnt it? for about £100 more :confused:

Hmmm indeed, but the 8800GTX in any form will last a long time.
And if you can afford that card then go for it, the specs look great and it will be absolutely silent aswell, which is always a bonus.

Im not sure about the R600, dont know the release dates or if its much better than a 8800GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom