Upgrade Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxMcCarther

In Runtime
I'll start by listing my current specs, also, I was unsure what section to post this in, because as far as high end computers go, this would be the low end of it. It is a couple years old, but there have been some upgrades since I originally built it, I think the PSU may be the only original part left lol.

Important Specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790X (This was meant to be only temporary after I fried my good one moving my computer to college (somehow)).
Gfx: Nvidia N275GTX TWINFROZR
PSU: Rosewill RX950-D-B
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition (8gb)
Processor: AMD Phenom 9850 BE (2.55 oc'd to ~3.1)
Case: Enermax Phoenix Neo

Not so important specs
Keyboard: Saitek PK17U
Mouse: Logitech MX518 - Before anybody gives me crap for this one, I like it so much I replaced all of my computers with this mouse and bought one for my laptop ^_^
Screen: Asus VW246H - Just added this one, and so far I love it
Screen 2: Samsung 2053BW
Sound: Logitech Z-2300 - Love these ^_^

"The Situation"
Alright, so here is where I am at, I have been looking to upgrade (or, overhaul as it may be) for a while now. Today, I came downstairs to my computer and popped open firefox to check my e-mail, then the heat alarm decided to go off (Not super rare when under heavy load, but never when idle). Unfortunately, as far as cooling goes, my computer would be classified as "Fire Hazard" if only because the cooling is only just barely almost adequate and if it weren't for the after-market heat sinks it would be too hot to use. (Honestly, I wasn't too worried about the relatively poor heat management due to excessive OC'g as I have been wanting to overhaul it for a while). Anyway, I crack the case to see what happened, and it looks like the 250mm fan crapped out on me, leaving only two scrawny 120mm fans to do the job (Both set to intake air, with the 250 to remove it).

So, what leads me to post here is I have finally decided to undergo the much needed upgrades, and I would like your guys advice, as while I seldom post here (like three posts or w/e) I often troll these forums and you guys are some of the best ^_^.

Here is what I am looking to upgrade (according to priority, but the order will probably be made at the same time anyway)
1. Motherboard (obviously if this is upgraded 3 and 4 will also need to be)
2. Cooling (possibly water or alternative, as I do excessively try to OC just about everything.)
3. Processor
4. RAM

Those are the four (Unfortunately all major expenditures) I am hoping to upgrade.

Only real conditions I am looking to meet is I don't care much for intel processors, so it should be AMD to make me content (I am an AMD processor, INTEL Gfx kinda guy)

Also, I want to try to do this for under $600 but I am sure you guys all know how this goes, so that figure is just a very loose range, it it ends up +/- a few hundred it won't break me.

Thanks for this folks, I know this is one of the few places I trust to read about for advice concerning something that sucks up most of my income (except my aquarium which is at a close second lol) :cool:. I was looking a bit (and planning on for a while) to go with the Phoenom II but With that newish 6 core out, I don't know much about the new hex core processors, if somebody could enlighten me on those, that would be helpful as well.

****, with your current motherboard, you can swap out the old Phenom and get the new Thuban based Phenom II X6 1090T. I'm not sure how well it pairs with DDR2 over DDR3, but I know the Phenom II chips are a lot better than first generation Phenom chips.

My suggestion :

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

ATI 5850 1GB (Or dual 5830's in CrossfireX)

Noctua NH-U12P CPU Cooler

Sell the 9850 and GTX 275 to recover the excess amount spent.

Here's a little 1090T DDR2 vs. DDR3 comparison.

1090T and DDR2 - AnandTech Forums

i think the minimal upgrade you could do is upgrading to a 1090t because your mobo still has life in it and it does support the 6 cores (with a bios update).

1090t and a good cpu cooler to OC it, like 95Black suggested.

I am already rocking an aftermarket CPU cooler (Here) As well as I currently have a tube of Thermal Compound (Here) laying around (also what I use now)

So, as far as that goes, I should be set for a bit (Not planning on OC'g the new processor for a while, so the lower end processor cooler I have now should work until I save up some for a better cooler) Unless of course, a new processor is not in the planing of this, than I should probably consider a better cooler.

Also, as I understand it, you can put an AM3 processor in an AM2 / AM2+ slot and you won't get any decreased performance (not vice versa though, AM2+ in AM3 will fry the processor). The only major difference is the AM3 slots support DDR3 ram, where as a DDR2+ slotted AM3 processor only will support DDR2 ram, which, may not be a very bad thing at this time because my ram is not too bad. Still trying to feel out what I want to do with this, but like I said, this board was intended as a temporary replacement, so as it stands, I only have half my usb ports running and no room for my card reader (Though those two things are relatively minor, just inconvenient).

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions so far guys, keep it up! It helps when I can bounce ideas off people.

I'll be posting 3 TRUE's for sale this weekend, they will all be "pre-lapped" with a mirrored finish and priced to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom