Upgrade for 4870

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palomino

Solid State Member
Last year forum members helped my son and I build a great gaming computer for less than $650. For his birthday, he is asking for a better graphics card. The current card is an HD 4870. I have read you need to go at least three levels higher to see that much of a performance boost. My budget is probably $250 so I am not sure that is possible.

Also, we thought about picking up another 4870 and doing crossfire, but this card is pretty wide and I don't know if we can get another one on the current motherboard.

At that price, you can afford a GTX 560 Ti or a ATI 6950. Both are definitely a noticeable upgrade from the 4870. If you look into it, you could possibly get a 6950 2GB card, and unlock it to a 6970.

I was able to look up what Motherboard you have, but what power supply and case do you have?
Those two factors may limit what video card you are able to get.

Thanks

MOBO GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P

Case COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC

I looked up the HD6950 and could not find a 2 GB model under $250. Most were closer to $300. I did see a 1 GB version for $243.

Looks like crossfire is out of the question only one PCI-E x16 2.0 slot on the MBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom