Updating my Computer.

Secret_Society

Solid State Member
Updating My Computer.
Good day to everyone here at Tech Forums. I would have couple of questions since I am about to update my setup a little. So my goal is to essentially update my Graphics Card which is getting too old to stay on the edge of these new games and what not.

So my current setup is the following;
Cpu: Intel i5-2500k overclocked @4GHz.
Gpu: Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 oc.
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
Ram -12gb Ripjaws X 1600mhz.
Power: XFX Pro 550W.

What I was looking to buy was this: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 4gb Oc. GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-4GD GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W Video Card - Newegg.com

So the question is would you recommend this for my current setup and would my power supply get in my way?

And if you have any other suggestions for a new graphics card that would stay in the price range of 290-320e please tell me. :confused:

if u can push ur budget a little i would try to get at least a 770 also u might have to update the psu but im not sure on that.

How come a 770 would be a better option? I don't really know how much does the 2GB to 4GB really affect in gaming at all. So please enlighten me.

The 770 is faster to begin with and only 2 games right now actually take advantage of more VRAM. The thing is, having too much VRAM on a lower end card can have adverse effects because the GPU itself isn't powerful enough to properly push all that texture information through fast enough. I have a 4GB 680 and I think even sometimes this card struggles a bit. So basically, having 4GB of VRAM on a 760 is only really good for having a heavily modded Skyrim.

Gigabyte isnt one of my favorite brands, I used to get EVGA exclusively due to the life time warranty they used to offer but decided to give MSI a try with my GTX770 4gig and I am very impressed with it, A friend has almost the same system as I do with the exception of his having a EVGA GTX770 4 gig and different model MB. Well both playing watch dogs and his GPU fan is much louder than in the MSI. The stock cooler on the MSI is really good in my opinion and the price is also good with the same warranty. Also will give less sag than the Gigabyte being physically a little smaller and lighter I believe with all the same specs.
MSI card
MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com
Gigabyte card
GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-2GD GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W Video Card - Newegg.com

Once again thank you for your ideas and replies. And I'm not familiar with PCB "sag" so... Not 100% sure what it means.

I am seriously considering getting the MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 TF OC 2GB.
Since the price is pretty good on that one and i see a lot of positive comments about it.

But once again I shall ask what do you think? I am not going for the best-performance gaming experience, but rather just a update from what i currently have.

PCB sag is basically caused by how heavy some of these video cards are, Yes you have that screw holding one end of the card but the other end actually causes to MB to flex a little and it well sags.... It doesn't always happen and not always cause a problem but it does and can cause problems. So we avoid it happening as much as we can. A few companies like NZXT (I think) makes a bracket to support the back end of the card but Me personally would rather just get a card that is lighter with the same performance.

Dauntae

Back
Top Bottom