Updating BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonPorkchop

Daemon Poster
I found my board on the MSI website, but there are 4 different versions of the BIOS. Should I download them all or just the latest one?

And how do I do this:

1. Make a bootable floopy disk
2. Copy the Award flash utility & BIOS file to the said floppy disk.
3. Create an autoexec.bat with "awdfl535 biosfilename" in the content e.g. awadfl535 a619mj21.bin
4. Boot up system with the said floppy (it will take less than 2 minutes before screen comes out)
5. Re-flash the BIOS & reboot.

How do I make a bootable floppy? How do I do #3? Do I go into the BIOS before I do this, set it to boot from floppy, THEN boot from the floppy, or do I just boot with the floppy in the drive? And then when I'm done with all this just remove the watch battery while it is off, put it back in and boot?

MSI has a feature called "Live Update", it is on this link. I've never used it, because I have a 'boot disk'.
Perhaps 'Live Update ' is the better way to do it, I don't know, you can check it out on the MSI site.
'Flashing your BIOS' is risky, and they tell you don't do it if your system is running ok........ see link......... FWIW.
The up-dated BIOS downloads explain the function of each version, so you have to decide which one is best for you.
* If you are not sure........... Don't Do It.

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/BIOS_AMI.asp

from what i read you need only the latest update but that's for abit motherboards (im not sure if its like a general rule)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom