*updated* hows the build look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonie

In Runtime
here is my build so far, I am looking for the best full tower amd build I can get for under 2k.

tower: cooler master haf x (just awesome) 190$
Mobo: gigabyte's new ga-990fxa (most features) 250$
CPU: amd's 8 core bulldozer when it comes out. 200-300$ i think
Heatsink: thermalrite archon w/ 2nd 140mm fan (I hear it is the best) 80$
GPU: radeon 6970 by gigagyte, (3x fans looked good) 350$
SSD: 120g kingston hyper x (had the fastest read and write times) 360$
HD: western digital 1tb 7,200rpm 64mb cache, (again fastest read and write times) 80$
Memory: 16g of ripjaws 1600 sttuff (idk is there better here?) 100$
PSU: is the cooler master 1000watt pro gold series, fully modular for 200$

ny suggestions on where I can improve? my goal is the most future proof destop, so I want the best If I have not mentioned that already lol do you forsee any compatibility issues or anything else like that here? oh and I am going to try ubuntu 8)

oh also, once my gpus become outdated, how much power would I need if I decided to upgrade to 4x 6970's assuming the scaling is where it needs to be? 1200whatts?

totals to roughly 1,900$.

thanks.

First, it is a powerful build. It is a bit expensive for my taste, but we all have different taste buds. I do have a few questions, concerns, and comments, though.

There is no such thing as a future proof computer. Even if you spent $5000 on a computer with all of the best components you could buy, the computer will be outdated in 2 years. That doesn't mean it won't run games on high settings or be able to handle multiple resource intensive applications. It means that 2 years from now you'd be able to get an equivalent or almost equivalent machine for a fraction of the price even before accounting for inflation.This all reflects Moore's Law.

Generally, the difference in GPUs by the time you'll need 4 will make getting a newer one or a newer pair a better choice. Cards that are one series are substantially less expensive and not that far behind in performance.

You asked a question about power. We could all go do research on the card you're going to buy, but it is easier for everyone (and safer in your case) for you to call the manufacturer of the card you are going to buy. I doubt you'll find anyone that knows more about the card than the engineers.

I don't have time to check all the components' compatibility at the moment. The main things are that the CPU and mobo are the same socket and chipset, a quality psu that will power the PC (reputation is everything with PSUs), your RAM speed is supported by the mobo, and being able to fit it all in the case. I'll check when I get home from work. That's all I have for now.

-Draco

I want the best
Then go Intel/Nvidia... ba-ZING!

Keeping with the current theme though I'd swap a few things.
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 1000W.
HD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3.
Also, missing an optical drive and operating system?

What exactly is this build for?
(please don't say 16GB of RAM and 8-Core CPU for gaming)

Than you draco for your input :)

Well, intel is way more expensive and I go radeon because eventually I will do the eyefinity. And what makes your suggested psu and HD trump the ones I have selected? I need facts and such as to which components are best rather than opions, and I will be using a bluerayburner by asus, and I have my sights on ubuntu but If I don't like it I wil go windows 7.

And no lol while I will be using this desktop for gaming, autocad will be a primary use.

PSU: Can't find an in-depth review (tear it apart type) for the CM. Historically CM has gotten less than stellar reviews compared to other brands, so while this particular PSU may not be the same I'm willing to put it in the same category. The OCZ scored 9.5 from jonnyguru.
Also, the OCZ is fully modular while the CM is semi-modular, and while they're the same price up-front OCZ has a $30 rebate, CM is $20.

HDD: Western Digital has gotten rather full of themselves and started charging a premium just for the Caviar Black name. While it is an excellent drive, there aren't going to be any discernible difference in real-world application, especially as a storage drive. http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/1-tb-hdd-samsung-vs-others-249580/.

Than you draco for your input :)

Well, intel is way more expensive and I go radeon because eventually I will do the eyefinity. And what makes your suggested psu and HD trump the ones I have selected? I need facts and such as to which components are best rather than opions, and I will be using a bluerayburner by asus, and I have my sights on ubuntu but If I don't like it I wil go windows 7.

And no lol while I will be using this desktop for gaming, autocad will be a primary use.

Fact: OCZ has a much better reputation for its PSUs than CoolerMaster. If there is one component in your computer not to try to get away with being cheap it is your PSU.

The power supplies has a very important job in a computer system. It provides AND regulates electricity to your computer. A low quality power supply can do any and/or all of the following:

A) keep your PC from booting
B) make it freeze due to inadequate power to components
C) fry your components

Listen to Roark. He knows what he is talking about.

-Draco

Hmm, well I must say I completely agree about reputation and the importance of a quality psu, I will definitely look into ocz now, thank you both. If you can't already tell I am somewhat new to the computer realm so all input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

So a western digital would be like buying an alienware, paying alot for the name correct?

Thanks again

Hmm, well I must say I completely agree about reputation and the importance of a quality psu, I will definitely look into ocz now, thank you both. If you can't already tell I am somewhat new to the computer realm so all input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

So a western digital would be like buying an alienware, paying alot for the name correct?

Thanks again

No, Western Digital is nothing like Alienware. You pay Alienware for the two or three LEDs and their logo plus a plethora of useless accessories. Western Digital is just following the economic principal of supply and demand. They are charging too much these days, though. Roark and I think quite a bit alike, apparently. I am a strong supporter of Samsung. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

-Draco

You think so? alot of other reviews out there say otherwise, well, looks like I got more research to do. thank you.
Now what about thermalrites silver arrow, it is said to edge out the d14, and as far as I understand neither the silver arrow or the d14 accomodate memory with large heatspreaders correct?

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom