Unsure of what to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazy_taco

In Runtime
Basically, I only have about 200 dollars for an upgrade (i can probably flex a few dollars if needed). I got windows vista recently, and I'm loving the Windows Live experience with shadowrun. I am hating, however, the low framerates I'm receiving in the game on low settings. I don;t have time to get my system specs all together, but Basically my system is good except for
A: Amd Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2 Ghz) (Socket 939)
B: 2 Nvidia Geforce 7600GSs running in SLI mode. (256 mb each).

Which of these (A or B) should i upgrade? And what should I get in it's place?

Basically, I'm looking for whatever will improve my framerate more drastically for under 200 dollars.

I would save up at least $500 and upgrade to a dual core AMD, and you'll need a new motherboard with that, and at least a 8600 GTS, 8800 GTS 320 if you can afford it in the end.

If you get a 8600/8800 GTS now, it'll be bottlenecked by your processor, and if you want a need processor, you'll need a new motherboard, in which you should just move up from your graphics inevitably.

I'm really avoiding having to replace the mobo, because the price for the upgrade project will skyrocket.

Well, if you really want to keep your old motherboard, try to get the best socket 939 processor you can get and at least a 7900 GT.

What I would do is sell the processor and those video cards. Then get a dual core socket 939 processor, such as the Opteron 165, and a X1950XT. That should improve gaming performance, by a significant amount.

...but if you sell your system, plus your $200 budget, you can get a new AM2 system. Such as an X2 3600+, Biostar TF7025, 1-2GB of DDR2 RAM, and an X1950XT.

No one has really answered my question yet :(

Which would give me a better fps boost. 200 dollar processor or 200 dollar video card?

I'd say update the GFX cards. but those GPU's aren't GT's, so yea sell that, save up some money, rob a bank or two, and get a budget 7900gs or if you have the money, 8800gts, and a 3600+/4200+

I'd say update the GFX cards. but those GPU's aren't GT's, so yea sell that, save up some money, rob a bank or two, and get a budget 7900gs or if you have the money, 8800gts, and a 3600+/4200+

he'll also need a new board and a new RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom