Unreal Engine 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWS

In Runtime
What is it exactly?? Does this basically mean a new video card??
hopefully not a new system.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

Here is Epic's (the company that created the engine) overview of their new engine. It just supports a lot of new features like EAX 5.0 and PPUs (physics proccessing unit) and better graphics ofcourse. there are a lot more but those are some of the highlights.

Looking at your previous thread your system will be fine. I say the GPU is the main unit that UT07 will use.

EDIT: looks like I posted too late :)

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

Unreal Engine 3 is a next generation gaming engine that will revolutionize the PC gaming industry. Many companies have licenced Unreal Engine 3 due to its easy adaptability especially between genres, meaning the engine will be perfect for even non-FPS games.

Unreal Engine 3 is going to mean a new PC for us all if we want to crank the settings up. Although its release is less than a year away, this game will bring all of today's hardware to its knees, and it will beg for mercy. 2 7800GTX 512s in SLI should get by fine in this game, but it would be much better to hold off and get a G80 core card and play it on a single card at 1280x1024 2xAA.

Currently I'm saving to build a rig for Unreal Engine 3 games because I know my current one wont be able to handle it. Plus, you will need an AGEIA PHYSX processing unit for this game as well. They are supposed to be released next spring.

Yeah, the others posted exactly as I was posting. I currently have $941 in the bank towards my Unreal Engine 3 rig. I am planning on spending around $2500 to get a rig that can play this game decently at 1280x1024. I have a 19" LCD, so I demand more because 1024x768 isn't an option for me.

*EDIT* WWS, your system will be fine, you will just need a new video card and a PhysX card.

If I update my OS to windows vista and get a physX card will my posted new rig do well for a while with games on unreal engine 3?

With possibly a new video card. That X2 4800+ will be a tremendous help, as this engine will demand a dual-core CPU. I worry about the 7800 series though and being able to handle Unreal Engine 3. By the time its out, you should easily be able to get a GeForce 8 series card for around $300 that will be able to play the game at high, if not max settings. You could also add another 7800GTX and run in SLI, that would do the trick as well.

beedubaya said:
I currently have $941 in the bank towards my Unreal Engine 3 rig. I am planning on spending around $2500 to get a rig that can play this game decently at 1280x1024.

I too am banking cash for an UT2k7 build.

beedubaya said:
Plus, you will need an AGEIA PHYSX processing unit for this game as well. They are supposed to be released next spring.
You don't need a PhysX card and SLI to run UE3, it would never sell, because less than 1% of average computer gamers even have that hardware. It will help though. I am waiting for the G80/R580 to upgrade my video card, and I will get a PhysX card as well.... Then I should be set. I just ordered a Thermaltake BigTyphoon, which appearntly beats the XP-90 by more then 10C, so I will also be able to OC my CPU even faster, hopefully.
WWS said:
If I update my OS to windows vista and get a physX card will my posted new rig do well for a while with games on unreal engine 3?
Well, first of all, if you get vista to replace XP, that's not upgrading, that's downgrading, and you're games would probably run slower on it. It has severely crippled OpenGL support, it has moved away from hardware accelerated audio, and several people who have beta 2 of vista on xtremesystems.org report that after a fresh install, with nothing else installed, it eats over 500mb of memory, not to mention all the features that would have made it worth considering were removed, such as WinFX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom