Unable to get this system going, component compatibility check, help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as I say, the chipset supports 1333 FSB, but it certainly was the case when the boards were new, that they needed flashing, as is the case with yours...

Hrm.. the eVGA mobo mentioned needs bios version P29 or later, and I have no idea whether the manufacturers keep churning out the originals, and just upload the new bioses online, or whether they come updated. Presumably they need to put a BIOS of some description on, and hence would use the most recent, but then you are gambling on how new the stock is when you buy...

I haven't found any hard answer from searching online since my last post, I'm afraid..

sorry!

mgcook uses an eVGA NF680, he might know!

(oh and both yours and the eVGA are great boards)

p.s. I didn't mean to imply that the P35 is the only 1333FSB chipset, I just mean that I think you wont need to flash them

Well, thanks a lot for your help.
I am hoping someone in this forum can direct me to a company pre-flashed BIOS motherboard that will support the Q6850 without any problems while supporting SLI.

Might be a lot to ask for, I just hope I can get it done quickly as I am getting extremely frustrated with the parts getting old and all. A month of brand new parts wasted, soon enough they'll announce some new components, and the price I paid for the system will drop in half.
/rant

Thanks for anyone with a helping hand here, once again.

Thanks for your help pinoy, throughout this whole thing.

Do you know that that specific motherboard has been flashed by the company?

Basically, I told the guy at the PC Shop to CHOOSE a motherboard by himself and let me get it so that he can't complain when it gets there, but perhaps I could get an agreement on this one.

Is it preflashed?

EDIT:
I should mention for his sake that the PC shop guy knew about BIOS flashing and appearantly how to do it, he would just prefer to have a motherboard preflashed, because for the setup fee he is charging me, I suppose he doesn't find it appropriate to be pulling in and out parts and stuff.

KK, if you get lucky, your mobo should come pre-flashed to the latest BIOS unless newegg gives you a mobo that has been sitting there forever with a BIOS that is like 6 months old or so.

Its basically just luck, your situation is similar with the Q6600 hoping to get the G0 stepping over the B3.

Where do you live btw? What state or city? You might be able to find a CompUSA store near you, they have NVidia 680i Mobos and are pre-flashed with the latest BIOS to support the 1333MHz FSB. If not, you can always return it and say, hey, it doesnt work with my CPU and it said right in the box that it supports 1333MHz FSB. They will work out with you and update the BIOS for you.

KK, if you get lucky, your mobo should come pre-flashed to the latest BIOS unless newegg gives you a mobo that has been sitting there forever with a BIOS that is like 6 months old or so.

Its basically just luck, your situation is similar with the Q6600 hoping to get the G0 stepping over the B3.

Where do you live btw? What state or city? You might be able to find a CompUSA store near you, they have NVidia 680i Mobos and are pre-flashed with the latest BIOS to support the 1333MHz FSB. If not, you can always return it and say, hey, it doesnt work with my CPU and it said right in the box that it supports 1333MHz FSB. They will work out with you and update the BIOS for you.

Hah, well, if worse comes to worse and he can't get it up, I am in Los Angeles, California, so I am sure I'll be able to find a store to go in and out directly for an update in BIOS.

Thanks for the help, regardless. Much appreciated.

2nd place in the 3dmark06 tech-forums records goes to...

We'll see how it goes when the system goes up.
I was going to buy water cooling for it, but seeing as my ignorance prevented me from even setting up the computer correctly, I'm assuming installing a water cooling system will bring about the apocalypse, unless I have a "professional" do it.

Water cooling is good if you have a good kit. I recommend reading the forum and finding out which one is the best ones.

Here is what the guy recommended for it.
Appearantly, he checked it out with intel or something.

Newegg.com - Intel BOXDP965LTCK LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Is it just me, or does this seem to be completely incompatible?
1066 FSB doesn't seem to add up.

Not to mention the fact that it's lacking a lot of the features that I wanted.

So, hopefully someone can confirm my fears that this idiot has no clue what he is doing.

Regarding the NF68 that someone mentioned:
Newegg.com - EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

That one.

Can anyone confirm that this will come flashed to support the Q6850 as it is?

The computer shop man suggested getting an Asus or an Abit, so perhaps someone can recommend one of those?

Anything that is a fully featured (supports SLI, for example) motherboard that will support this processor from the get go.

I will once again mention how great a help you guys have been through this whole thing. You've done much more for my cause than the guy I am paying for did. After practically burning a brand new motherboard I had sent over to him, he basically said that he doesn't want to spend too much time flashing the bios as it's not worth it for him. ******bag.

Once again, thanks a lot, and I hope you guys can finally help me get this system going so I can post all the funky and fun information and benchmarks right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom