Unable to get this system going, component compatibility check, help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeuk

Baseband Member
Well, I've tried to assemble it myself, the bios came up, but suddenly, everything died.

I had replacement (brand new) parts shipped from newegg, a new motherboard, CPU and powersupply, took it to a professional.

Now he says the video will come up but shuts down after a few seconds.

Components:

-MSI P6N Diamond LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
-Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 Kentsfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562QX6850 - Retail
-EVGA 768-P2-N885-AR GeForce 8800Ultra KO 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
-Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
-GeIL Black Dragon 4GB(4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model GB24GB6400C4QC - Retail

The power supply is a 650 watt one I got from best buy. Brand new.

Is there anything you see here that doesn't add up?
Possible problems?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A few questions: does your motherboard manual list your RAM as supported?
What PSU are you using? what is the +12V current rating?

someone won the lottery!

A few questions: does your motherboard manual list your RAM as supported?
What PSU are you using? what is the +12V current rating?

someone won the lottery!

Hey Andy, thanks a lot for your reply and help.

The power supply outputs are listed here:
Bjorn3d.com -Antec TruePower Trio 650 Watt Power Supply Unit, Satisfying Your Daily Tech Cravings Since 1996

Under the output table.

As for the RAM, I suppose I should feel like an idiot for not verifying.
Newegg, discontinued the product and it doesn't show up anymore, but I found the same model and package here:

4GB GeIL Black Dragon DDR2 PC2-6400 (5-5-5-15) Dual Channel kit (2x2GB)

And here are the Main memory specifications for my motherboard:

• Supports dual channel DDR2 533/667/800 and up, using four 240-pin DDR2 DIMMs
• Supports the memory size up to 8GB
• Supports 1.8v DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
Example: Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 PC6400 operates at 2.0V, 4-4-4-12.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details.
For the best performance and commitment of convenience, please visit MSI approved memory module vendor list (MSI AVL), which provides the easiest, up-to-date memory configurations

Is it the RAM voltage that perhaps is incompatible?
Perhaps I got get a replacement shipped before the warranty wears out.

Thanks again for your help.

Hey Andy, thanks a lot for your reply and help.

The power supply outputs are listed here:
Bjorn3d.com -Antec TruePower Trio 650 Watt Power Supply Unit, Satisfying Your Daily Tech Cravings Since 1996

Under the output table.

As for the RAM, I suppose I should feel like an idiot for not verifying.
Newegg, discontinued the product and it doesn't show up anymore, but I found the same model and package here:

4GB GeIL Black Dragon DDR2 PC2-6400 (5-5-5-15) Dual Channel kit (2x2GB)

And here are the Main memory specifications for my motherboard:

• Supports dual channel DDR2 533/667/800 and up, using four 240-pin DDR2 DIMMs
• Supports the memory size up to 8GB
• Supports 1.8v DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
Example: Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 PC6400 operates at 2.0V, 4-4-4-12.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details.
For the best performance and commitment of convenience, please visit MSI approved memory module vendor list (MSI AVL), which provides the easiest, up-to-date memory configurations

Is it the RAM voltage that perhaps is incompatible?
Perhaps I got get a replacement shipped before the warranty wears out.

Thanks again for your help.

Okay, I think I see your problem. The motherboard you have, its a 680i, I know it supports 1333MHz FSB CPU's but you need to flash it first. They do not come pre-flashed to support 1333MHz CPU. In otherwords, you may need to update your bios to the latest version. I wouldnt know how to do that if you have a CPU thats not supported in there, i dont think it would even work.

Also, for the system you got, next time dont get any of Antec's True Power PSU, the ToughPower and Quattro are the best ones they have. Avoid the True Power.

Okay, I think I see your problem. The motherboard you have, its a 680i, I know it supports 1333MHz FSB CPU's but you need to flash it first. They do not come pre-flashed to support 1333MHz CPU. In otherwords, you may need to update your bios to the latest version. I wouldnt know how to do that if you have a CPU thats not supported in there, i dont think it would even work.

Also, for the system you got, next time dont get any of Antec's True Power PSU, the ToughPower and Quattro are the best ones they have. Avoid the True Power.

I'll keep that in mind and I'll inform the computer repair shop of your analysis.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Can anyone help with as what to do when this problem? I am not sure if the computer stays up long enough to access BIOS and make changes...

Thanks for any further help with this issue.
You guys are really helping me out here.

wow... drool @ ur comp.

I'll be drooling when it gets to working.

The 'professional' says he emailed MSI appearantly to check compatibility issues.
They tried another set of RAM, but still no go, so I guess it isn't the RAM.

It's probably something with the CPU, as I doubt the video card can have such an effect.

Any other theories?
Any help is greatly appreciated, once again.

Update:

I just talked to the computer shop.

His claim was that the motherboard MSI P6N Diamond simply is not compatible with core2 processors.

I don't know how he arrived at this conclucsion, but he suggested sending it back to newegg and replacing it for an asus or intel motherboard.

The thing is, my policy coverage from newegg just ran out, and I don't think they will allow me to sent the item in for replacement of another product.

Could this be true? MSI blatantly misadvertising its motherboards to that extent, or does this guy just not know what he is doing?

i'll support Pinoy's theory... do u happen to have an el cheapo' socket 775 processor like a "Modern" P4, if you do, throw him in there, flash the BIOS and switch it to your qx6850....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom