Unable to get this system going, component compatibility check, help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be that the motherboard is bad. have you tried changing cpu's yet?

The whole desktop is at his shop, and since the motherboard is bad, he refuses to put a new CPU in it.
Basically, the motherboard died out, so I am praying that it's only the motherboard that is giving all these problems, I am hoping I can get new egg to let me pay the difference on a new motherboard.

I am asking you guys which it should be, something that won't be acting crazy with the components I have and hopefully make it a smooth building process.

Suggestions?
Thanks.

Do you need SLI?
What about the suggestions people have made?

I would like to have SLI as an option, so yeah.
But basically, just something that doesn't need to be flashed. Something that's known to work well with what I have.

Thanks again.

ask newegg if you can get the same motherboard. That motherboard is great. But if they wont let you exchange for a better one and pay the difference, ask them to give you a replacement.

I did the same thing on my 8800GTS asked for an echange and pay the difference for a better one but they wont let me do it. They will charge me 15% restocking fee and refund the 85% to the card i used. But I dont want that. They offered a free exchange though.

ask newegg if you can get the same motherboard. That motherboard is great. But if they wont let you exchange for a better one and pay the difference, ask them to give you a replacement.

I did the same thing on my 8800GTS asked for an echange and pay the difference for a better one but they wont let me do it. They will charge me 15% restocking fee and refund the 85% to the card i used. But I dont want that. They offered a free exchange though.

Wait, are you saying to get the same motherboard?
The thing is, the BIOS will need to be flashed, and computer shop is unwilling to do so.

So can you recommend ANOTHER motherboard which will need no flashing or updating and should work smoothly, preferably an intel or asus motherboard?

Thanks.

is there a 680i chipset MoBo that won't need to be flashed? I'm not sure there is! (Anyone, correct me if I am wrong here). The P35 chipset would, I think, be OK, but doesn't support SLI.

EDIT: the more you post, the more I worry about your local computer shop. Do they really know what they are doing? How do they know the MoBo is fried? How do you know that it wasn't them that fried it!

is there a 680i chipset MoBo that won't need to be flashed? I'm not sure there is! (Anyone, correct me if I am wrong here). The P35 chipset would, I think, be OK, but doesn't support SLI.

EDIT: the more you post, the more I worry about your local computer shop. Do they really know what they are doing? How do they know the MoBo is fried? How do you know that it wasn't them that fried it!

The truth is, I don't trust them too much either way, and I am assuming they probably don't know as much as they make it seem, however, I would like simplify the process as much as possible.

So, newegg agreed to let me replace the motherboard with another one, so if anyone can link me to a motherboard which you know will work with the components smoothly, and hopefully not have to be flashed?

Can anyone confirm Andy's statement that all the compatible motherboards with the exception of the P35 ones will need to be flashed.
Meaning all motherboards which support SLI will need to be flashed?

Thanks for your help pinoy, throughout this whole thing.

Do you know that that specific motherboard has been flashed by the company?

Basically, I told the guy at the PC Shop to CHOOSE a motherboard by himself and let me get it so that he can't complain when it gets there, but perhaps I could get an agreement on this one.

Is it preflashed?

EDIT:
I should mention for his sake that the PC shop guy knew about BIOS flashing and appearantly how to do it, he would just prefer to have a motherboard preflashed, because for the setup fee he is charging me, I suppose he doesn't find it appropriate to be pulling in and out parts and stuff.

Well, as I say, the chipset supports 1333 FSB, but it certainly was the case when the boards were new, that they needed flashing, as is the case with yours...

Hrm.. the eVGA mobo mentioned needs bios version P29 or later, and I have no idea whether the manufacturers keep churning out the originals, and just upload the new bioses online, or whether they come updated. Presumably they need to put a BIOS of some description on, and hence would use the most recent, but then you are gambling on how new the stock is when you buy...

I haven't found any hard answer from searching online since my last post, I'm afraid..

sorry!

mgcook uses an eVGA NF680, he might know!

(oh and both yours and the eVGA are great boards)

p.s. I didn't mean to imply that the P35 is the only 1333FSB chipset, I just mean that I think you wont need to flash them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom