Unable to get this system going, component compatibility check, help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'll support Pinoy's theory... do u happen to have an el cheapo' socket 775 processor like a "Modern" P4, if you do, throw him in there, flash the BIOS and switch it to your qx6850....

I'm not sure whether or not he has one, but he should, and I should have him tested. His theory is rather childish, and I don't believe that MSI would get away with something like that.

If he's making these kinds of excuses, I wouldn't even trust he could carry out that operation.

The 680i chipset does support C2Ds, no matter what board as long as it have this chipset.

That's what I thought. It can't be that an LGA775 simply won't support the processor.
Besides, if this was the case, the video wouldn't boot up for a few seconds.

What frustrated me more than anything is that with all this money invested in a machine like that, it's just been "broken" for a whole month, just sitting there getting old.

....sigh.

Yeah if you can't find one somewhere than you can buy one decently cheap, but after the flash its kinda worthless....

Can someone please further explain the process behind this as this approach is new to me.

Perhaps a link to help me understand what it is I am trying to do?
Am I updating the BIOS on an appearantly old mobo (even though the thing seems to be pretty new) because the default front side bus setting on it does not match or is capable of the CPU that is in it?

If someone can, how difficult is this process, and can it cause any real physical damage, as my warranty just went out.

Thanks for all the help, you guys are helping me a lot more than the guy who's supposed to know all this stuff.

I'm in agreement with all of this, P6N should definitely work with any core 2. What the guy says is crazy, all he had to do was check a few websites.

I don't know enough to agree/disagree with that approach, but they guy at the computer shop should have some old P4s, surely? Can't he use an OEM one he has lying around? You need to get your money's worth out of him!

I'm not sure whether or not he has one, but he should, and I should have him tested. His theory is rather childish, and I don't believe that MSI would get away with something like that.

If he's making these kinds of excuses, I wouldn't even trust he could carry out that operation.

That's what I thought. It can't be that an LGA775 simply won't support the processor.
Besides, if this was the case, the video wouldn't boot up for a few seconds.

What frustrated me more than anything is that with all this money invested in a machine like that, it's just been "broken" for a whole month, just sitting there getting old.

....sigh.

thats a qx6850... its a 1333fsb processor... they don't natively support it... you have to flash.. to the latest version

Okay, I think I see your problem. The motherboard you have, its a 680i, I know it supports 1333MHz FSB CPU's but you need to flash it first. They do not come pre-flashed to support 1333MHz CPU. In otherwords, you may need to update your bios to the latest version. I wouldnt know how to do that if you have a CPU thats not supported in there, i dont think it would even work.

Also, for the system you got, next time dont get any of Antec's True Power PSU, the ToughPower and Quattro are the best ones they have. Avoid the True Power.

as soon as read ur post knew it too. he is exactly right. u need to download the newwest bios update to support ur new quaddy. and yess the bios update support all the new series of 1333mhz intels. itll work like a charm

baron5 n everbody else is right 680i's were designed to be able to handle the 1333fsb when they came out. like they said b4 just download ur newest driver and install it. should load up fine n be playin games n watchin frame rates goes crazy in no time at all.

My recommendation is go to a local computer store, Best Buy or CompUSA where they sell low end CPU's Buy the E6300, they should be really really really cheap. Then put it on your Mobo, from there it should boot fine. Do what wish, install Windows and what not, Download the BIOS utility tool from MSI's website, download the latest BIOS for your Motherboard and then once done, take your E6300 out and replace it with your 6850. See if it solves the issue, if it doesnt, its likely that some hardware is not connected properly or the motherboard is not working right. You can always get it replaced with newegg.

If everything is working fine, return the E6300. If the motherboard was bad that after flashing the latest BIOS, it still does the same thing, it wouldnt accept the E6300. If it does, then your mobo should be fine after flashing it.

So I just talked to the guy at the shop.
His bad english got me a little confused, but I think pretty much this is what happenned:

They tried to boot up the system with different RAMS, and different configurations, but basically, it won't come up anymore, not even for a few seconds.

I am going to try to coerce newegg to take back the motherboard and let me pay the difference for a compatible board.

Anyone recommend the best/standard board for the 6850 and won't give trouble with the other components?

Thanks again for all the help.

So I just talked to the guy at the shop.
His bad english got me a little confused, but I think pretty much this is what happenned:

They tried to boot up the system with different RAMS, and different configurations, but basically, it won't come up anymore, not even for a few seconds.

I am going to try to coerce newegg to take back the motherboard and let me pay the difference for a compatible board.

Anyone recommend the best/standard board for the 6850 and won't give trouble with the other components?

Thanks again for all the help.

It could be that the motherboard is bad. have you tried changing cpu's yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom