umm need a bit of help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as you play sims 3 on lowish settings, you should be fine with just a ram upgrade. also make sure your resolution isn't too high.

Yes, as long as the card is a PCI-E card. The higher up the card the better it will run the game. If you cheap out your gaming will suffer. For Nvidia, I would recommend a 8800, 9600 and above. On the ATI side you could get a 4770 and be set (runs $100US, not sure what it would be there). A 3850 512MB should run Sims 3 just fine, though, so anything better than that (3870, 4670, 4770, 4830, 4850, etc.) would be fine.

As for your RAM, I am not familiar with Oz e-tailers but I would avoid eBay for components. You can get a 2x1GB set of DDR400 for about $60 US, so that would probably be $75 for you (possibly more). Check Newegg to see what brands are reliable.

You have a Celeron processor. A Celeron is basically a gutted Pentium in that it has half of the on-board memory cache, thus making it much less efficient than a P4 (which is pretty hard to do). A Celly works, but it is equal to a slower P4 because of the lack of cache.

Honestly your rig looks quite old, IMO it would be a good idea to go the whole hog and get a new rig. It doesn't have to be a million dollar build, you can get a pretty decent system for under a thousand.

In the end it's up to you and what you think you'll be using it for, if you want make a new thread in the building section someone will throw together a new rig for you, just so you can get a feel for what you'd be getting, and for how much.

woah, do I see a Caviar GREEN being recommended? Don't go for the green stuff. Worst mistake I ever made was getting one of those drives, they compromise performance way too much for the sake of power efficiency/tree-hugginess. Ok, so I'm maybe being a little dramatic, but you get my point.

The blue drives are good, and don't cost that much more.

woah, do I see a Caviar GREEN being recommended? Don't go for the green stuff. Worst mistake I ever made was getting one of those drives, they compromise performance way too much for the sake of power efficiency/tree-hugginess. Ok, so I'm maybe being a little dramatic, but you get my point.

The blue drives are good, and don't cost that much more.

The blue drives are the low end

For a budget build the green drive is great.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

here is the black though and its only 5 bucks more. You might as well go for that IF you want to build a new rig. I don't want to start debating components because the OP hasn't even said he wants to do this. I was just throwing out a mockup build for him

^eh? No, the blue drives are the drives between the green and black.

green = low power / low performance
blue= medium power / medium performance
black = high power / high performance

Google around a little.

It doesn't cost much more to get a blue instead of a green. IMO it's worth it. However, it's up to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom