ultra 120 extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
but when your finished you get teh good feeling your hsf will look like this
articlelapping1yd2.jpg

I'd rather smudder my HSF with paste, leaving a 1mm thick layer of thermal paste.

Why? Thermal paste's thermal properties are much worse than aluminum, copper, etc.. It's much better than air, so that's why it's used, to fill the gap between the heatsink and the CPU.

So what exactly is wrong with lapping to you guys..? Is it the fact that you've never done it before?

A thick layer of thermal paste is bad, too.

And you don't have to lap your CPU, your heatsink alone is fine. Obviously you get better results with your CPU lapped correctly, but whatever.

most imes ive seen people lap HFS they shave off 1-3c i just dont think it worth it and possibly damaging ur HSF

Well lapping is more for the enthusiasts, who just want to get the best they can get...If you know what you're doing, then it is worth it. If you're worried about damaging it, that's why you think it's not worth doing.

I want to try this lapping thing, because even though I'm new to it, and possibly might damage it, I learn something from it. I'm going to lap my Zalman, and see the results. If it's good, I'm going to try lapping my future TR Ultra-120 Extreme.

i considered machining off a very fine layer myself and then lapping it.

But its too much time. I work all day then go to the gym, then make dinner, then its bed time.

Plus if I put that much time into a heat sink my girlfriend would be ****ed off probably haha.

maybe ill get into it when i make my next build. right now im happy with my temps and dont see the need of 1c lower.

HP wat were we thinking. old p4 helped me get the job done tho.

they rip u off bigtime here with the new comps u can buy now. like 4g for a c2d 2gb ram and a 7600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom