ultra 120 extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXDuskXx

In Runtime
i just got my thermalright ultra 120 extreme today and it needs to be lapped X_X anyone got any good guides on how to do this?

Lapping is the process of making a surface flatter, I think....because from the factory manufacturing of these heatsinks, sometimes the base isn't so flat, but like concave or convex. Lapping will also improve the contact between the processor and heatsink, as the grooves on the base are smoothed out, by the lapping process.

Lapping is the process of making a surface flatter, I think....because from the factory manufacturing of these heatsinks, sometimes the base isn't so flat, but like concave or convex. Lapping will also improve the contact between the processor and heatsink, as the grooves on the base are smoothed out, by the lapping process.

I'd rather smudder my HSF with paste, leaving a 1mm thick layer of thermal paste.

Lapping is not for the faint hearted...

What's wrong with lapping? Is it the amount of work involved? IMO, lapping will get better contact, and better temperatures, than adding more paste.

I just got my Ultra 120 Extreme in the mail yesterday.

The surface was really flat, machine marks were present - but they werent any "worse" than my Zalman CNPS 9500. I should have brought it to work to put on a granite table to really see how flat it was.

Either way, the surface quality was reasonably good. I've lapped heatsinks before and its just not worth the time for that degree or two shaved by minimizing the contact resistance.

most imes ive seen people lap HFS they shave off 1-3c i just dont think it worth it and possibly damaging ur HSF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom