Ultimate GPU Help section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
Ok.. I gone done and made myself all confuzzled again.

I have the TX750W PSU.
i7 920 CPU
6GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard
22inch (21.5 really) 2ms 1080P LCD (never really play ultra high resolutions.. 1920x1080 is max on this)

A gagillion USB devices (ok in reality...8 plugged in)

Now.. all is fine, for now.. but GPU needs to be purchased.

Which way to go?
I plan to use 1 GPU (real nice quality, a Radeon 4870, or equivelant, or higher) until a game comes out that kicks my rump. (in which case, I'd get another, and SLI/Crossfire them, but only 2 max)

I want to use the HD part of my monitor, so the cable I bought, and all that, but I don't want loss of quality by using a converter (or was that simply rumor?) to the other GPU slots...

I want to know which GPU would be best- considering I may possibly be SLI/Crossfiring them, and I don't wanna be power shy or anything weird, the recommended settings for SLI nVidia cards is some 700 on some, not sure if my computer could handle that... (never did figure otu if thats 700W just for them, or 700 including the CPU....)

anyway.. give some examples and such, and for this instance, don't be shy on recomendations.

Hard gamer, photo editing, movie editing, sound edits, 3-D production. Less lag, more frag!

I recommend a GTX285 if you can afford it.

I don't really know the actual facts about the whole quality loss from a converter but I used to use a DVI-HDMI converter and I thought it looked great.

The reason I recommend a GTX285, one of the best cards out, is by the time a game comes out that won't play well on that system, it will be pointless to get another one. It will be better to just get a new one by then.

Your PSU is more than enough. When they say they recommend a 700w PSU, that is just a generic recommendation so they don't have anybody complaining to them when theyre PSU can't handle SLI/Xfire. That rating also includes all other components.

Just look at anything in the top-5 or so of our GPU rankings; for nVidia, get a 285 if you're going to SLI them in future, or get a 295 for ultimate power. In ATI, you have the 4870 as you mentioned, and the 4870X2, which is two of 'em stuck together. Personally I plan on SLIing 2x260s, as that will be the equivelant of a 295.

I have a TX750 and it should be able to handle even 2x295s just about (since no current game would tax them that much), you won't really need to worry about it.

I want to use the HD part of my monitor, so the cable I bought, and all that, but I don't want loss of quality by using a converter (or was that simply rumor?) to the other GPU slots...
You won't really notice any difference between HDMI and DVI, the only real difference is that HDMI can carry sound as well.
(never did figure otu if thats 700W just for them, or 700 including the CPU....)
It's including the entire system, but it's also designed to allow for crappy PSUs that are badly built and have low ampage. When a 700W is recommended you could probably get by with a decent 500W, and in your case you have a VERY good 750W.

I still got a while, gonna buy my shiney new case soon, and itll be.. prolly a month after that that I can afford a good GPU. Just trying to get ideas with whats out now, or soon to come

I really really wanna go with Asus, my monitor is Asus and I love it, my motherboard is Asus and it is been hassle free, and I am just going Asus-lover all over.

This card is about the only 4870 from Asus that looks decent from the Egg:
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Some stated temps at 42/50 C although I am sure a great cooling case like the one I plan to get here soon would make things ok....

Any comments on it?

*bump and info*

Ok so doing some detail research I came out with this.

4870 1GB runs average (according to Newegg reports, averaged out) 43C Idle, 69.4C load
with unknown cases/fans and heating conditions.
Has been said to be a "power hog"

GTX260 896MB runs average (again same way): 48C, 60C (not many reports on this one)

mostly I am not worried about heats so much, as I plan to get the HAF 932 case and air flow should be a breeze. (pun SO intended)

I just worry about "power hogs" and noise level. I think it will come down to buying 1 of these cards, so I plan to do more research here, and finally purchase in about 2 weeks.

Oh and unless a seriously good reason can be provided for NOT buying an ASUS version, I will be shelling out the extra for the brand.

GTX260 896MB runs average (again same way): 48C, 60C (not many reports on this one)
mostly I am not worried about heats so much, as I plan to get the HAF 932 case and air flow should be a breeze. (pun SO intended)
I have the HAF932, cools awesomely. My 260 hovers just above 40 when idle, never goes above 60 while playing FC2 at max. I can highly recommend it, and not just for the cooling.

Oh and unless a seriously good reason can be provided for NOT buying an ASUS version, I will be shelling out the extra for the brand.
If you're going to shell out a little extra, you should get XFX or EVGA.

Well a post got me thinking..buy my 4870 now.. then a 4870x2 later and Xfire them puppies, technically 3 GPU then sorta, but only using 2 slots. (which is all I have considering the board)

Double lifetime, and covers Overclocking (which I wasn't really interested in when starting this rig...) ? Hmmmz. Kinda set on having Asus mobo Moni and GPU.. but double lifetime with my luck.. might pay off.

Think theres any little loop I might fall into about Xfiring the 4870x2 (Asus) with the 4870 (XFX) later down the road, to like void the warrenty or something stupid like that?

How far do you think we can OC that on air? (since theres a version that is already OC somewhat, for slightly more)

Its not worth it to get a 4870 and then a 4870x2.

I don't think its really ever worth it to get a card and then later add another when the one isn't cutting it in performance anymore. By the time that happens, theres no point in getting another one because a brand new card will more than likely show far better performance gains.

Just get the best card you can now and it will last you a good 2 years or more depending on how picky you are with how good games look. When you feel you need more, get the best card you can afford again. I think it works much better like that.

Oh and don't get too sucked into your ASUS fangirlness (lol new word). XFX is the best brand 4870. I'm not saying asus is bad but when the xfx is cheaper and has a better warranty, it should be pretty clear which one to get

Oh the graphics thing.. I have played the last.. many years.. on 800x600 ish ness, Lowest possible settings. Lol. I just figure with such new shiney games, and since I went to an i7 and 6GB of 1600 RAM (from 1.5GB of like ~200 RAM) and plan to get a smokin GPU- it'd be nice to spend the next couple of years seeing what the games were MADE to look like.

Fallout 3 is very playable on my old p3 rig, however, lowest settings and my cousin came over, and he has the 360 version, he stated "Everything looks dull and dead compared to the 360" which I can only really say was that it's my PC (the last kick in the pants I needed to upgrade... my favorite series game gettin dogged on by my younger cousin) Plus the "Nuka Cola Quantum" supposedly Glow blue in game, however.. I can't use HDL which needs to be 'on' to render the glow effect... so I miss out on one of the most interesting and basic graphics in the game.

I know I really probably never will need 2x or 3x GPU since I don't use multi monitor and I don't think I'll even play at the max resolution this monitor supports (1920x1080 w/1080P of course) Right now my desktop is set at a very comfortable 1280x960, slightly distorted but I think I like it best so far.

Any word on the 4870 dropping in price soon? I think my next/next weeks paycheck might bring me mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom