Ultimate Gaming System? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Ultimate Gaming System?

I'm planning on buying a high end gaming rig from a computer company. I'm not entirely comfortable building one myself, but want a quality gaming rig backed up by great support.

I've read a lot of about http://www.alienware.com, and have also looked into http://www.zenotek.com. I went through both there ordering processes with the same configuration. Zenotek turned out to be $250 less. They also seem to have free shipping and include one free year of Norton Internet Security.

I like Alienware's cases, but the waiting time for the 7800GTX 512MB is a couple of weeks. Knowing Alienware's good reputation I would go with them, but I don't see an advantage in spending an extra $250 if I can use it towards upgrading parts on a Zenotek system. In my opinion both look like good companies, but what I think it comes down to is price and quality.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

www.Monarchcomputer.com

Old 02-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/ looks like a decent place for computer parts, but doesn't look at all good for computer systems. The site almost looks unsafe. I definitely wouldn't unload $2000 for a system on their site. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

www.cyberpowerinc.com

Dont waste money on an alienware, i hope people stop buying their computers and they got out of business as much as they rip people off.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

meh, don't go with AW, they tend to rip people off with high prices and substandard parts.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Sport1031

Why do you hope they go out of business. They are an alternative for people who want a high end system, but dont know how to build a computer, or feel unsafe spanding a lot of money to try to build their own.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Dude take it from me and everyone else in the world that knows anything about computer hardware. Monarchcomputers.com is the way to go if you're getting a prebuilt system. Alienware and all those big name companys rip you off. Monarchcomputer has a very good reputation and is very safe to buy from.
ATI Radeon x1950xt
MSI RD480 Neo2 Crossfire Mobo
Western Digital 160gb SATA HDD
Fortron 450 watt PSU
KINGWIN SK-523BKP Case
Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse
Old 02-02-2006, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by NeedAcpu
Dude take it from me and everyone else in the world that knows anything about computer hardware. Monarchcomputers.com is the way to go if you're getting a prebuilt system. Alienware and all those big name companys rip you off. Monarchcomputer has a very good reputation and is very safe to buy from.
Couldnt have said it better. Monarch is a GREAT site. Essentially you choose what parts you want for your computer- they have a very good selection, much better than any manufacturer- and they charge about $75 to build it. Much cheaper than alienware.

Closed Thread