Two New Builds Help Please! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 46
Default Two New Builds Help Please!

This is going to be a place where i update and keep track of these builds im going to do. Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

Build One:
The first guy wants a machine he can use to watch and burn blue rays thats fast at processing videos and editing them ect.

Budget: 1500$

Monitor: Already has, i believe its a 22inch 1080p samsung.

GPU: (Now i cant decide if i should go two gtx 260 core 216 SLI or just one 295 like i have in my rig. I dont think he will be doing a lot of gaming so once i get this going i may just lower down to one 260.

PSU: ????

$209.99MOBO: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

$288.99 CPU: i7 920 Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM: I dont believe he will be doing any OC'ing he doesnt know much about CPU's any suggestions? I want 6gb DDR3

Mouse/Keyboard: Already has

HDD: OK im debating on since his budget is kinda high doing a SSD with OS install, and maybe some essential progs. LIke 100gb SSD. Also probably (2) 1 TB HDD's or maybe 1.5TB

$209.99 Optical drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129051

Cooler: I dont think he will need an aftermarker cooler since he isnt going to overclock

Case: Thinking about the Antec 1200 like i have, or maybe the 902?

Build Two


This guy just asked me to build him something that could play WoW withouth any skipping and lagging, which shouldnt be to hard. Although i think he will probably want to play some other higher games.

Budget: TBD(to be determined) Try to keep it kinda low though id say around 1k? but more isnt too bad. I just got to run it by him since he didnt say a budget.

Monitor: He already has the monitor as well.

GPU: Now this guy said he doesnt really care about budget and he's big into WoW and wants something that can max a 1080p resolution with max settings and no framerate loss on WoW. I have a gtx 295 and tried wow and it has something where the framerate drops because it has problems with double gfx cards. So do you think i should just do 2 Core 216 SLI?

PSU: ????

$209.99MOBO: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

$288.99 CPU: i7 920 Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM: I dont believe he will be doing any OC'ing he doesnt know much about CPU's any suggestions? I want 6gb DDR3

Mouse/Keyboard:
Already has

HDD: Same as above, except id probably throw wow on the same HDD as the SSD to give him a little more zippy load times. Not looking to do raid 0 or any of that.

Optical drive: This guy didnt say anything about drives, so im assuming DVD RW drives should be pretty good.

Cooler: I dont think he will need an aftermarker cooler since he isnt going to overclock

Case: Thinking about the Antec 1200 like i have, or maybe the 902?

OH yeah some thermal paste would be good if you could recommend me a brand.

Thanks a ton in advance guys! P.s i take criticizm very well if you want to compeletely change something on here to help me out im not against it.
__________________

iPhone is offline  
Old 04-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 2,724
Default Re: Two New Builds Help Please!

for both builds, and i think especially for build 2, you/they are asking too much for the posted budgets, they need a bigger budget or a more realistic build.

for build 1, the gfx card(s) alone would take around 1/3 of the budget, an i7 920 and mobo is like $500+, 6gigs of ram around $150, antec 1200 around $150 and an SSD around that capacity is $200-$250 and that's pretty much the whole budget right there and not the complete pc yet.

they would still need a powerful enough psu to run that rig, maybe around $100 or so, they want 1.5-2tb of storage is around another $100+, and a BR burner around $150 more.

and for build 2; i don't know how much more the person is willing to spend over $1k but im certain that for that much you will not fit a gtx 295 or sli gtx 260s in (which is half the budget right there) and an i7 920, along with a mobo, 6gigs of ram, and everything else you listed, it just won't fit in that budget.

as far as general parts go, if they could afford it, the i7 920 would be a good choice along with an ssd or two for the OS and separate data HDDs.

just not a gtx 295 or sli gtx 260s. there are newer, better options like ati's dx11 5xxx series cards (5850 and 5870), if they can afford those, and even newer options from nvidia too (gtx 470 and gtx 480) if they are willing to pay the price for them (literally and figuratively; i don't want to start a war here >.<).

im sure we could help you help them build their PCs, but we're not magicians here.
__________________

Muffin Man is offline  
Old 04-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
dirkpitt45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 755
Default Re: Two New Builds Help Please!

Yeah don't even bother with a 260 or 295. They're obsolete performance and price wise now. Like muffin said, a 5770, 5850, or 5870 would probably be your best bet.
__________________
dirkpitt45 is offline  
Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 46
Default Re: Two New Builds Help Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
for both builds, and i think especially for build 2, you/they are asking too much for the posted budgets, they need a bigger budget or a more realistic build.

for build 1, the gfx card(s) alone would take around 1/3 of the budget, an i7 920 and mobo is like $500+, 6gigs of ram around $150, antec 1200 around $150 and an SSD around that capacity is $200-$250 and that's pretty much the whole budget right there and not the complete pc yet.

they would still need a powerful enough psu to run that rig, maybe around $100 or so, they want 1.5-2tb of storage is around another $100+, and a BR burner around $150 more.

and for build 2; i don't know how much more the person is willing to spend over $1k but im certain that for that much you will not fit a gtx 295 or sli gtx 260s in (which is half the budget right there) and an i7 920, along with a mobo, 6gigs of ram, and everything else you listed, it just won't fit in that budget.

as far as general parts go, if they could afford it, the i7 920 would be a good choice along with an ssd or two for the OS and separate data HDDs.

just not a gtx 295 or sli gtx 260s. there are newer, better options like ati's dx11 5xxx series cards (5850 and 5870), if they can afford those, and even newer options from nvidia too (gtx 470 and gtx 480) if they are willing to pay the price for them (literally and figuratively; i don't want to start a war here >.<).

im sure we could help you help them build their PCs, but we're not magicians here.

Yeah m8 i know what your saying, but im sure if i figure out a build that will work for them they wont mind spending the money. Id say for both of these the range is 1k-2k but the 2k isnt the side im leaning towards.

I looked up MOBO's how does this one rate? Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards Its 209.99 right now USB 3 support. 2x PCI x16

PS ill look into those new GPU's you were talking about dirk

P.S.S Also if the HDD's become too much i can just do a single 1.5 or 1 TB instead they arent going to know the difference.
iPhone is offline  
Old 04-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: Two New Builds Help Please!

I'd stick to an i5 or i7 1156. Both will scream through their uses. Also easily fit your budget

3rd or 4th gong with an upper level ATI 5770 type.

Both systems could run on a 650W brand name, corsair/seasonic/ etc.
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline  
Old 04-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 46
Default Re: Two New Builds Help Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
I'd stick to an i5 or i7 1156. Both will scream through their uses. Also easily fit your budget

3rd or 4th gong with an upper level ATI 5770 type.

Both systems could run on a 650W brand name, corsair/seasonic/ etc.
How much money would i end up saving / performance loss if i went with the i5 again when i did my build the i7 was the hottest and it hasnt failed me yet i gotta do some reading i guess. Thanks for the heads up on the PSU m8
iPhone is offline  
Old 04-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: Two New Builds Help Please!

From what i read, and thats it, going 1366 really is if you want the beasts of the chips...

Heres a review of the chips:

The Intel Core i7 860 Review - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Quite intresting graphs...

Remember the i5 doesn't have hyperthreading, so only 4 cores...
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline  
Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 46
Default Re: Two New Builds Help Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
From what i read, and thats it, going 1366 really is if you want the beasts of the chips...

Heres a review of the chips:

The Intel Core i7 860 Review - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Quite intresting graphs...

Remember the i5 doesn't have hyperthreading, so only 4 cores...
Ok so what i gathered from that is the 750 beats out the 920 in pretty much in every area. Is that because of programs utilizing the 4 cores better then the 8? I also am talking with the #2 guy and hes thinking about the i5.

If i go with an i5 instead of an i7 920 does it run best on 6gb of DDR3 as the i7 920?

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Those are what im looking at for him instead which is about 150$ in savings.
iPhone is offline  
Old 04-04-2010, 03:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 46
Default Re: Two New Builds Help Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
This is going to be a place where i update and keep track of these builds im going to do. Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

Build One:
The first guy wants a machine he can use to watch and burn blue rays thats fast at processing videos and editing them ect.

Budget: 1500$

Monitor: Already has, i believe its a 22inch 1080p samsung.

GPU: (Now i cant decide if i should go two gtx 260 core 216 SLI or just one 295 like i have in my rig. I dont think he will be doing a lot of gaming so once i get this going i may just lower down to one 260.

PSU: ????

$209.99MOBO: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

$288.99 CPU: i7 920 Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM: I dont believe he will be doing any OC'ing he doesnt know much about CPU's any suggestions? I want 6gb DDR3

Mouse/Keyboard: Already has

HDD: OK im debating on since his budget is kinda high doing a SSD with OS install, and maybe some essential progs. LIke 100gb SSD. Also probably (2) 1 TB HDD's or maybe 1.5TB

$209.99 Optical drive: Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer Model BDR-205BKS - Blu-Ray Burners

Cooler: I dont think he will need an aftermarker cooler since he isnt going to overclock

Case: Thinking about the Antec 1200 like i have, or maybe the 902?

Build Two


This guy just asked me to build him something that could play WoW withouth any skipping and lagging, which shouldnt be to hard. Although i think he will probably want to play some other higher games.

Budget: He said he doesnt want to go over 1500$

Monitor: He already has the monitor as well.

GPU: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100281-3SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PSU: Newegg.com - Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Power Supplies

MOBO: Newegg.com - ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Desktop Memory

Mouse/Keyboard: Already has

HDD: just a 1TB and a 60 GB SSD

Optical drive: A couple DVDRW

Cooler: None

Case: Thinking about the Antec 1200 like i have, or maybe the 902?

OH yeah some thermal paste would be good if you could recommend me a brand.

Thanks a ton in advance guys! P.s i take criticizm very well if you want to compeletely change something on here to help me out im not against it.

Well i updated build TWO so any suggestions would be appreciated thanks guys!
iPhone is offline  
Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 612
Default Re: Two New Builds Help Please!

For build 1 guy, I'd stick with the i7 920, get him a 5830 or 5770 for graphics, and a 500-650w PSU from a decent brand.

For build 2 guy, I'd get him a Phenom II X4 955 build with a 5850 graphics card.
And again a 500w-650w PSU from a decent brand.
That would max WoW at full settings at 1080p.
Honestly WoW isn't THAT demanding.
I maxed it with a single GTX 260 216 at 1920x1200 and got amazing FPS.

I'll throw a couple builds together and post them in this post.
__________________

__________________
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firefox Custom Builds Osiris Tips, Tricks & Tutorials 1 05-09-2009 10:42 AM
Google Chrome Nightly Builds Downloader Osiris Internet Software and Browsers 0 09-07-2008 10:18 PM
3 builds, can't decide between solidsteve System Upgrades 33 02-15-2008 01:20 PM
2 Builds, need help deciding marblez New Systems | Building and Buying 4 08-27-2007 09:38 AM
Phishing Tool Builds Sites in Seconds Osiris Viruses, Spyware and Malware 0 07-11-2007 01:09 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.