Two DVD burners, I feel stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
I have two dvd burners, as windows recognizes the first is : NEC DVD RW ND-3550A. the second I plugged in is a Memorex MRX-530L. I have a single ribbon plugged into the primary DVD burner, then there is a secondary piece connected to the same ribbon i have in the original NEC drive plugged into.
Basically, Iam trying to daisy-chain both the dvd burners, yet, when i go into the bios, only one is recognized, am i doing something wrong?

im not very good with this but by ribbon im guessing u mean ide cables(thin wide gray cables). make sure the blue side is in ur mother b. matching the colour of ur ide plug in ur mother b. the ordder of how the cd drives are connected to the ide cables does not matter.

now at the back of ur cd drives there should be lil pins (usually 6 i think) and a two pin connecter which will connect 2 of them together. in ur manual or sumtimes printed on the cd drive are instructions on which pins to connect, make sure top drive is on primary settings and bottom on slave. or if there is no slave option for bottom drive leave pins out.

im not to sure bout this but its my understanding of it. once more exp. ppl come they be able to tell u more.

Check the jumpers on the back of the drive. One should be master, and the other should be slave. Or both should be cable select (CS).

For Master, use the pins on the right. For slave, use the middle pins. Cable select is left.

I'm not sure if your second ribbon counts for the same setup, by which I mean using cable selects on the primary ribbon and master/slave on the secondary ribbon, but I would make sure your using the same configuration on all your IDE drives. CS is the easiest way to go.

I'm not sure if your second ribbon counts for the same setup, by which I mean using cable selects on the primary ribbon and master/slave on the secondary ribbon, but I would make sure your using the same configuration on all your IDE drives. CS is the easiest way to go.

It is possible.

alright, just to be safe i got myself another IDE cable(sorry for being so unspecified), I'll be checking everything to make sure the cables are secure. it's simply odd that the second drive is recieving power but, goes unrecognized. i'll take a closer look

Well, I took into consideration everyones suggestions. it seems that whenever i would connect my primary ide cable (master) into one of the drives and then slave into the other, only one of the drives was completely recognized, i believe this may be a bios problem, but how can i be completely sure? also, when i tried to securely fit my jumper cables into the unit, something else came loose in the motherboard, so, it was pretty frustrating.

I've settled for two IDE ribbons t this time, but, i don't understand how everything can be so securely fit, yet, through one single cable none of the drivers are completely recognized, is this a motherboard issue perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom