Tuniq Tower 120

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pdawg

In Runtime
So I got this part for my q6600 and tried lapping it this evening. Followed the guides and everything. Apparently this thing is supposed to come a bit concave.

Anyway, I start going to work on it and after about 100 "back and forths' on 400 grade paper I just stopped seeing results. I could tell it was starting to get more mirror like on the outsides and down the middle. Looks like an I or H shape reflection-wise. I kept going for another 100 or so and just stopped seeing any progress. I mean this is after an 1.5 hours or so of work here without changing grades of sandpaper. Am I just being impatient? I'm thinking about returning it to the shop(doubt they'll notice what I've been doing) and getting the TUltra 120 and leaving it stock.

*maybe I should have posted in the other section, sorry, but this is the area in the forums I most frequent.

I don't see layers. It's an all copper HS. It's just a difference in reflectiveness. Down the center and on two of the sides. I went at this thing for an hour, 150 back an forth motions from each side. It should have looked pretty uniform by then I would have thought.

start with a 220. then go to a 320 and sand perpendicular to the one before, and so on

the way im going to do mine is in this order:

if you have a sanding block that really helps as its a flat surface.

Yeah I went back to work on it a bit more ( ithink i was using too much water) It's improved some but my corners are worrying me since they're getting a bit more rounded off than I'd like.

you can never use enough water. if you sand it dry, the paper will clog up with teh small pieces of the metal.

go back down to a 320 grit and see if that straightens it out any.

Did so. It got much better. There's just two small areas that don't look as shiny yet but I think I'll need more sandpaper. All the shops were closed today. Where's a walmart when I need one. This whole thing is just taking alot more time than I thought.

Did so. It got much better. There's just two small areas that don't look as shiny yet but I think I'll need more sandpaper. All the shops were closed today. Where's a walmart when I need one. This whole thing is just taking alot more time than I thought.

thank god i didnt lap mine I just cant deal with all that hassle

Yes it does require alot of patience. I have nothing better to do while waiting for parts on order. Still trying to decide if it's worth doing on my Q. It'll depend on what happens with my TT.

Yes it does require alot of patience. I have nothing better to do while waiting for parts on order. Still trying to decide if it's worth doing on my Q. It'll depend on what happens with my TT.

It takes a while because it's your first time. Just like it took a while to assemble your first computer. Experience will definitely speed up the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom