Trying so save some money on a high end rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalls0224

Baseband Member
Hello all,

I am putting together components for my first build and mostly went on recommendations from the sticky threads in terms of what I should be looking for. After getting everything together, I came up with something a bit too expensive.

I'm looking to stay under $1250 without sacrificing too much performance. Right now I'm at $1500.

Here are the parts:

Tower $79.99
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Mobo $269.99
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Graphics Card $299.99
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH5850/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PSU $89.99
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Processor $288.99
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM $149.99
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Card Reader $19.99
Newegg.com - Nippon Labs Delux 3.5" Internal All In One Card Reader/Writer with USB2.0 & eSATA Ports Model ICR-BB - Card Readers

Hard Drive $99.99
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Blu-Ray Drive $89.99
Newegg.com - LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner - Blu-Ray Drives

OS $104.99
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

Total: $1493.30

Any help and/or suggestions for improvements would be greatly appreciated.

What are you going to be using the computer for?

Depending on what your plans are you could be over-building.

I am assuming to want to watch movies on it....if not...ditch the blu-ray

If you are not gaming at a high resolution the you can save some on video card.

If not gaming you could save on cpu

if you want to do all of those things and do them really well and have the new technology....then you may save a few dollars....but not a whole lot.

Do you really need the card reader and that big of a hard drive.........don't get me wrong, that is a sweet build.....just trying to find a place to cut cost.

I do plan on mostly gaming. I going to get the Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 in terms of resolution. I could probably tone down the hard drive and ditch the card reader until I really used it (I've only used the one in my current rig maybe 3 times in 3 years). I wanted to have at least 400GB of storage space. I originally went with a 10000 rpm 300GB drive and the 1TB drive but thought that was overkill besides the fact it was too expensive, so I just left the 1TB drive.

I would like to keep the blu-ray playing capability so I'm okay with the extra $60 for the upgraded drive.

Do you mind if your power supply is modular(Only plug in wires you need) or not? Modular is gonna cost more but if ya cared you should look for ones with it.

Other than that Im stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom