Trying this setup, need input. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2011, 03:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Trying this setup, need input.

This is my PSU - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

This will be my MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

This may be my Heatsink - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

These may be my fans - Rosewill RCA-1204BL 120mm Sleeve 4 Blue LED Case Fan, 4/PK

Here's where the questions start flying...

I want to mount two of these fans on either side of the heatsink, scrapping the stock fan it comes with. I will have the remaining two fans mounted on my case (intake/exhaust). I need to know if my mobo and or PSU has enough open connectors to run 4 fans, and where or how they would be connected. Will I need any extra wires/adapters? Finally, when mounting these fans to both sides of the heatsink should I have them exhaust, one exhaust and one intake, or both intake?

My case measures in at 7.5" wide, I'm sure I can fit this.

Also note, this PSU should be coming in the mail later today so I'm unsure how many adapters it's going to be coming with. Looks like there's a lot of wiring included. I'm somewhat hardware illiterate ATM.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
Default Re: Trying this setup, need input.

the power supply doesn't come with any kind of adapters for anything, just the cable connections to supply power, as its name would imply .

i have that same set of fans actually, and as they come, they don't have the right connection to be powered directly from the psu, they use a 3-pin connection that you would usually hook up to the mobo.

it looks like that mobo has two 3-pin connections available, but you'd still need two more for the other two fans.

what you could do is buy two of these adapters - APEVIA Power 4 PIN Adapter TO 3 PIN Fan Adapter Model CVT43
which will let you power the 3-pin fans from the 4-pin molex connections from the psu.

or instead get a fan controller (no adapters needed) and you could power all 4 fans directly from the power supply, plus you can manually control their rpm speed from the outside of your case, just turn the knob. - Scythe KQ01-BK-3.5 "KAZE Q" Fan Controller
i have this one and it does its job well.

that heatsink will do. what you wanna do is get a push/pull setup, where one fan blows (pushes) air into it, and one fan sucks (pulls) air away from it.

this should explain it a bit more.

with a pic from our own Slay

when you do this you want it to face the back of your case.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

And I would imagine that fan controller would mount into a 3.5 bay?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

- AMD FX8320 @ 4.2Ghz - ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer - G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb -
- Asus Strix GTX 970 - Corsair Neutron GTX - Corsair TX 750 -
- Cooler Master HAF XB - Corsair H105 -
- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 02-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Hate to bring this back up again... But will this heatsink fit in a case 7.5" wide on a mATX mobo with 4 RAM slots filled???

Case - Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mobo - ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

I know the case is bland but I can always upgrade later I guess.
Closed Thread