Trying this setup, need input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJamesJR

In Runtime
This is my PSU
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

This will be my MOBO
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

This may be my Heatsink
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

These may be my fans
Newegg.com - Rosewill RCA-1204BL 120mm Sleeve 4 Blue LED Case Fan, 4/PK

Here's where the questions start flying...

I want to mount two of these fans on either side of the heatsink, scrapping the stock fan it comes with. I will have the remaining two fans mounted on my case (intake/exhaust). I need to know if my mobo and or PSU has enough open connectors to run 4 fans, and where or how they would be connected. Will I need any extra wires/adapters? Finally, when mounting these fans to both sides of the heatsink should I have them exhaust, one exhaust and one intake, or both intake?

My case measures in at 7.5" wide, I'm sure I can fit this.

Also note, this PSU should be coming in the mail later today so I'm unsure how many adapters it's going to be coming with. Looks like there's a lot of wiring included. I'm somewhat hardware illiterate ATM.

the power supply doesn't come with any kind of adapters for anything, just the cable connections to supply power, as its name would imply :p.

i have that same set of fans actually, and as they come, they don't have the right connection to be powered directly from the psu, they use a 3-pin connection that you would usually hook up to the mobo.

it looks like that mobo has two 3-pin connections available, but you'd still need two more for the other two fans.

what you could do is buy two of these adapters
Newegg.com - APEVIA Power 4 PIN Adapter TO 3 PIN Fan Adapter Model CVT43
which will let you power the 3-pin fans from the 4-pin molex connections from the psu.

or instead get a fan controller (no adapters needed) and you could power all 4 fans directly from the power supply, plus you can manually control their rpm speed from the outside of your case, just turn the knob.
Newegg.com - Scythe KQ01-BK-3.5 "KAZE Q" Fan Controller
i have this one and it does its job well.

that heatsink will do. what you wanna do is get a push/pull setup, where one fan blows (pushes) air into it, and one fan sucks (pulls) air away from it.

this should explain it a bit more.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f115/push-pull-223648/

with a pic from our own Slay :thumbsup:
pushpull.jpg

when you do this you want it to face the back of your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom